• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SILVER EAGLES ABNORMALITY? posted by Eagles-R-it

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

DO MOST OF THE EAGLES HAVE THIS?

Was going through 3 rolls of silver eagles last night and today, and spotted something unusual to me. On all 60 coins on the reverse below the word FINE the letters f i n and sometimes e have a continuing downward ghostlike image out to the rim. It is almost like an extension of the letters, and appears to be raised. I was using a 20X glass, cuz I wanted to at least give myself a fair shot at MS70s cuz I wa going to pick some out for grading. Guess what? Not one of the eagles would have made MS70, about half a 69 the rest worse. These are brand new rolls folks, that I got right out of a monster box. I don't know how many one must go through to find MS70s. Also, what magnification does NGC use for grading?

I don't have a picture of the abnormality I was speaking of cuz, well I don't have a good camera, but when I get a camera from a friend or family member I will post it. Thanks fellow members for reading this.

See more journals by Eagles-R-it

It's Pot-Luck when you pick coins out of sealed rolls or the monster box, that's why I just buy one already graded nowadays. As for the extended letters, it's probably a result of a worn die. That would also account for the lack of better coins within your rolls. On the other hand, it wouldn't hurt to look into the possibiliy of errors having been produced.

Sounds to me like machanical doubling with the dies wore or too much space given. Not picked as a variety and a regular find with most coins later on in production. I just had the same conversation with newprepper. Keep up the search!!! Find some good ones!!!