• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USPS - Registered Mail...

13 posts in this topic

Is it really what it's cracked up to be?

I find it curious that when I have to go to the post office to pick up my return packages from NGC they have a hard time finding it in 1 out of 3 cases.

My local PO is fairly large, but the "secure" area for registered mail is within sight of the counter. Today I waited 25 minutes for them to find my NGC box... I started getting angry when they started to scour the entire back room for the package and they became a little miffed when I pointed out that the RE on the tracking number means registered, which also means it should always be under lock and key. I watched the supervisor on duty go in and out of the "secure area" and then appear from no where with the package after 25 minutes. Obviously, it wasn't where it was supposed to be even though they wouldn't own up to it...

Anyone else experiencing something similar with registered mail? I really have to wonder just how secure it is, although they haven't lost one of them yet. Glad I'm not superstitious, as I would have just jinxed myself...

The bad news is they couldn't find my insured package that I have to sign for, so I'm hoping the carrier delivered that one at home today.

I find that I have better success and far superior service with my home delivery carrier handling either inbound or outbound packages. Going to the post office is just a hassle and they don't have a clue what customer service means anymore.

End of rant.

Todd

See more journals by TD Henson

I have to admit there definitely are real advantages to living in rural Montana. I am on a rural route that the mail carrier is a personal friend. She does not leave a notice in my box, but instead drives a quarter mile to my house, knocks on the door and hands me my parcel. Then pets my dog and chats and then on her way. It is tough to deal with but we make it work.

I have to admit there definitely are real advantages to living in rural Montana. I am on a rural route that the mail carrier is a personal friend. She does not leave a notice in my box, but instead drives a quarter mile to my house, knocks on the door and hands me my parcel. Then pets my dog and chats and then on her way. It is tough to deal with but we make it work.

I'm not rural at all, in fact nearly city, but our mail carrier is tremendously good to us. She goes out of her way to make sure we get our mail and as such I always remember her on holidays, hot summer days, etc... Glad to hear that the carriers are still friendly...

I live in what most would consider a country area also ( although I can be in Wash DC in less than 30 mins). I have a PO Box and love it. I know all 3 workers at my post office and 2 attend my church.

These guys are good with locking the registered packages in the safe and even keep the stuff that needs to be signed for in "the cage."

Knock on wood, and I also don't want to jinx myself, but I have not had a package lost by USPS and I have over 2000+ ebay transactions and many, many auction house packages. ( plus thjese guys tell me when it's cheaper to bundle or mail my package another way.)

I had an interesting postal experience just yesterday. Two weeks ago, I won an auction from a company in California. It took a few days for them to ship it, but when they did, I got an email with the tracking number. So far, so good. I figured I'd have it in a few more days.

When a week went by, I checked the tracking number on the USPS website. For some unexplained reason, my coin was spending time in New Jersey. At this point, I added my email address for notification of delivery. All tolled, it spent roughly 5 to 7 days languishing in New Jersey before being forwarded on to my home town along the Gulf Coast. Yesterday, I received an email notice that my package had been delivered, complete with "my signature." I hadn't signed anything, and I certainly didn't have my package in hand, so I decided to check my mail box. Sure enough, there it was safe and sound.

I'm glad to have it, and I'm OK with having it left in my locked mail box, but I'm not too pleased about having my signature forged in the process.

Overall, I've had very good luck with USPS. Over 1000 packages over 9 years, and only one was truly lost.

I too have questioned this! I rarely get a delivery notice and I often wonder if its intentional since they know you will come hunting for it thus you MUST be the owner of the RE mail. Being that the USPS is a government sponsored organization in serious debt, I keep my expectations low so that my always pleasantly surprised!