• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Type Coins Post-Silver Dollar Show Acquisitions

6 posts in this topic

I have a small assortment of coins listed below. Shipping and insurance are paid for by me and all items may be returned within a one week (7-day) period for complete refund. Payment accepted by personal, bank or business check or money order, USPS money order and PayPal options. I prefer to avoid the use of PayPal with the fees that are associated with this option, but if it is required please let me know. Any questions may be asked within the thread or sent to me via PM or to my email address of tbush@tbnumismatics.com. Thank you for your time.

Additionally, at this time I am also offering an advanced notice email option whereby you may receive descriptions and prices of all new purchases after each major show or, in the event that a larger purchase is made between shows, as soon as I have a nice group of coins. Simply send me a PM with your email address or send an email requesting to be placed on the advanced notice list. I will not hammer you with emails or a sales pitch; only the occasional update to my site. Lastly, if you would like to read more frequent updates as to my business, you may want to follow or "like" me on Facebook

1) 1787 Mass Cent Left Arrows PCGS EF40

TBR2B1787P40.jpg

Massachusetts copper is simply a wonderful piece of US history that is relatively affordable to a large segment of hobby participants. These issues were released during an extremely chaotic period in our nation’s history and feature a Native American with arrow and bow on the obverse paired with a folk art style eagle on the reverse. The layout of the eagle is no doubt familiar since so many later Federal issues are similar. Another interesting aspect of these coins is that they are the first pieces to use the word “CENT” and this is displayed prominently on the reverse shield. This particular example is extremely choice for the assigned grade with an exceptionally clear “CENT” within the shield. $1,350.00

2) 1788 Mass Cent PCGS EF40

TBR2B1788P40.jpg

Massachusetts copper is simply a wonderful piece of US history that is relatively affordable to a large segment of hobby participants. These issues were released during an extremely chaotic period in our nation’s history and feature a Native American with arrow and bow on the obverse paired with a folk art style eagle on the reverse. The layout of the eagle is no doubt familiar since so many later Federal issues are similar. Another interesting aspect of these coins is that they are the first pieces to use the word “CENT” and this is displayed prominently on the reverse shield. It is very unusual that I have multiple Massachusetts cents, but these both came from the same New England collection. This piece is a good match for the previous, but is a little bit darker in overall color and has some woodgrain type streaks on the planchet. $1,550.00

3) 1861 Three-Cent Silver Medallic Alignment Mint Error NGC MS64*/CAC

TBR2D1861N64.jpg

The surfaces of this neat coin are very choice with a velvety frostiness dominated by antique white on both sides and very nicely framed with rings of navy blue against the rims that turn to a rich auburn. In addition to the striking visual appeal, the coin has a 180 degree reverse die rotation so that it has been struck with a medallic alignment instead of a coin alignment. This is quite unusual and can serve to make the coin attractive to those who value quality type as well as those who strive to incorporate something truly interesting and scarce into their collection. $1,595.00

4) 1840 Seated Liberty Dime No Drapery PCGS MS64

TBR2F1840P64.jpg

This is a great type coin missing from most collections. Both sides show a similar toning pattern in a wonderful and very attractive shade of blue with hints of intermingled green against a white and auburn backdrop. The obverse strike is SUPERB with all of Ms. Liberty’s fingers and toes complete while the reverse has fully struck peripheral letters and only some minor weakness in the central lettering. This is a far nicer example then generally available and would fit nicely into most gem quality sets. $1,595.00

5) 1938 Mercury Dime PCGS MS66FB

TBR2F1938P66FB.jpg

This particular issue is hardly rare, but the eye appeal serves to set it apart from the great majority of other Mercury dimes. The coin possesses headlight luster with a thin ring of gold around the obverse paired with a more heavily toned reverse that has not only gold, but violet, too. The coin also has fully intact, terrific skin across its surfaces. $175.00

6) 1825/4 Capped Bust Quarter Large Size B-2 NGC VG10/CAC

TBR2H1825N10.jpg

Sometimes one receives a coin back from the grading services that is just a head scratcher. This coin has what looks to be a full F12 obverse along with a reverse that looks to be F15, but the coin is in a VG10 holder. This is not only good for the end buyer; it is wonderful for the end buyer. This is the B-2 variety with a rotated reverse of perhaps 15 degrees. The surfaces feature a terrific grey-brown color and have a good skin covering them on both sides. This variety is considered an R2. ON HOLD

7) 1874 Seated Liberty Quarter with Arrows Briggs Encyclopedia Plate Coin PCGS MS62/CAC

TBR2H1874P62.jpg

The MS62 grade is generally unattractive to me or is a grade that in my opinion houses too often a very choice AU58. Thankfully, that is not always the case and the proof of that statement resides in this coin. The with Arrows type is much more difficult to find than some other Seated Liberty quarter types and to find one with thick, powdery patina sitting atop mint luster and having a small crescent of blue toning along the reverse rim is an exceptionally difficult task. This coin is also the plate coin from the Briggs Encyclopedia. $1,450.00

8) 1927 Standing Liberty Quarter NGC MS64FH/CAC

TBR2H1927N64FH.jpg

For the lover of unflinching, uncompromising and unmitigated originality…I present this 1927 SLQ. Thick skin, terrific strike and dramatic toning show off the design elements of this coin quite nicely. This is not the flashy, dipped out SLQ that many people prefer, but rather a coin with a dramatic arc of auburn toning on the obverse paired with a more subdued reverse containing hints of more color. $585.00

9) 1838 Reeded Edge Half Dollar NGC AU58

TBR2I1838N58.jpg

This is what an AU58 should look like! Unfortunately, the great majority of coins in holders with the AU58 grade look to be AU55 coins. Some of these might have a smidge more eye appeal, and thus were rewarded with an overgrade, but others are just a puzzle as to how then end up with the grade of AU58. This coin has an absolutely wonderful strike with only the most trivial amount of wear on the obverse paired with a reverse that shows essentially no wear at all. There is medium depth, matching toning on both sides that reveals great luster on the reverse and only a tiny bit of muting of the obverse luster to go along with a few milling marks on the portrait. The toning is dominated by an auburn-rose with flecks of lustrous orange, green and red sprinkled throughout. The die pair is the GR-9 and this can be most easily seen by the dramatic reverse die crack that arches from the first T in STATES, through the eagle and shield and then exits the coin between HALF and DOL. This coin had been priced incorrectly previously and has now been adjusted. $895.00

10) 1946-S Booker T. Washington PCGS MS66

TBR2I1946SP66.jpg

WHOA!!! This is an absolutely beautifully toned coin. The obverse has a pleasant and subtle golden-lime green throughout with a small hint of blue in the right field and some pronounced violet along the upper rim. However, the reverse jumps out with splashes of stronger violet, lime green and gold. To add to the impact, die polish lines are apparent on both sides. This is a mighty cool classic commem. $575.00

11) 1947-S Booker T. Washington PCGS MS66+

TBR2I1947SP66.jpg

It is truly unusual for me to have multiple Booker T. Washington commems on my site, but sometimes nice coins come onto the market and make themselves available. This coin has steely white surfaces with an attractive, original skin of speckled auburn. The reverse has just a touch more color than the obverse. In this level of preservation this is a very scarce coin with only a dozen pieces graded higher. $550.00

If folks would take a moment to look at my site they will find that every PCGS or NGC graded coin has a direct link not only to the PCGS or NGC database for that exact coin, but also to the CAC database where applicable. This allows people to see additional images of their coins, perform auction history research, look at price guides and do other neat things. This has been done to better serve the collecting community.