• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why would ANYBODY choose to sell on eBay anymore?

52 posts in this topic

The bad chargeback is the kind that occurs months after the sale and was paid by a credit card. If the credit card company disputes the charge to PAYPAL, PAYPAL gives the card company money back and takes it out of yours.

I joined eBay 14 years ago on Oct 31. Back then, it was very, very simple to set up an account and sell. You didn't need credit card this, bank statement that, Paypal account this.

Granted, it needed fine tuning.

But now?

Just for fun, because they kept sending me free listing opportunities on my Buying account (not my Selling account, which is irritating enough), I decided to sell a few things there, too.

Hoop after hoop after hoop after hoop.

I sold an item, and the funds...all $20 worth...won't be "available" to me until Oct 27.

Why would anybody in their right mind sell something and then have to wait 3 weeks to get it?

I've also hit a "selling limit" of apparently about $100 worth of listed items. Not sold...just what they're listed at.

Yes, I understand that eBay is plagued with fraud. But that's THEIR problem, that they have now foisted on to new sellers.

For the life of me, I don't understand how eBay stays in business. They have been, and continue to be, the very model of how to do things wrong in business without really trying for over a decade and a half now, and yet...they're still here.

I guess frontloading your legal dept is what passes for good business practice these days.

A. First of all, before people comment on this post they should know that eBay/paypal DO NOT hold funds on ALL items sold by ALL sellers.

every payment I get from an eBay sale is available for me to use/withdraw IMMEDIATELY.

And so do 90% of the regular sellers on eBay - we get the funds right away.

There are exceptions - when you usually sell items in the $10-$100/each range, and then suddenly list items for $25,000 each - yes, they might hold the funds to make sure that it's not a fraud and no one hacked your account.

It seems that in your case - where you "decided to go back to selling on eBay" - since the account had no selling activity for so long - they wanted to make sure that everything is still legit.

B. The hold is not mandatory for 21 days on the money.

eBay/paypal say that the money will be released after 21 days if no complaints from the buyer were sent to eBay about the item, OR as soon as the buyer leaves a positive feedback for the item. I had once sold a car on eBay for $5,600 and eBay held the money (it was an unusual amount - I was selling $25 items at the time), but ad the buyer picked it up and left a positive feedback the next day - I got the money within 3 days of the payment received. So If you do everything right and ship on time and ship an item as described - it might take as little as 5 days to get the money - if they even hold it at all.

FOR YOUR QUESTION ON WHY PEOPLE STILL CHOOSE EBAY - here's why:

Last week I listed on the money marketplace a 1955 flat pack proof set for sale. CDN bid price was $95 or $100, but I listed it for $80 (20% back of bid!) shipped - I wanted a quick sale. 2-3 days and no replies at all (unless you count the clown that offered me melt value for it cause "that's all it's worth").

So I took it off and listed it on eBay, in a 3-day auction, starts at 99c, No reserve price. It sold for $127.50 (item 271078412115).

After eBay/paypal fees I'll have $108 net left.

THIS is why I choose eBay..

I joined eBay 14 years ago on Oct 31. Back then, it was very, very simple to set up an account and sell. You didn't need credit card this, bank statement that, Paypal account this.

But now?

Just for fun, because they kept sending me free listing opportunities on my Buying account (not my Selling account, which is irritating enough), I decided to sell a few things there, too.

I sold an item, and the funds...all $20 worth...won't be "available" to me until Oct 27.

Why would anybody in their right mind sell something and then have to wait 3 weeks to get it?

I've also hit a "selling limit" of apparently about $100 worth of listed items. Not sold...just what they're listed at.

Yes, I understand that eBay is plagued with fraud. But that's THEIR problem, that they have now foisted on to new sellers.

For the life of me, I don't understand how eBay stays in business. They have been, and continue to be, the very model of how to do things wrong in business without really trying for over a decade and a half now, and yet...they're still here.

I guess frontloading your legal dept is what passes for good business practice these days.

A. First of all, before people comment on this post they should know that eBay/paypal DO NOT hold funds on ALL items sold by ALL sellers.

every payment I get from an eBay sale is available for me to use/withdraw IMMEDIATELY.

There are exceptions - when you usually sell items in the $10-$100/each range, and then suddenly list items for $25,000 each - yes, they might hold the funds to make sure that it's not a fraud and no one hacked your account.

It seems that in your case - where you "decided to go back to selling on eBay" - since the account had no selling activity for so long - they wanted to make sure that everything is still legit.

eBay/paypal say that the money will be released after 21 days if no complaints from the buyer were sent to eBay about the item, OR as soon as the buyer leaves a positive feedback for the item. I had once sold a car on eBay for $5,600 and eBay held the money (it was an unusual amount - I was selling $25 items at the time), but ad the buyer picked it up and left a positive feedback the next day - I got the money within 3 days of the payment received. So If you do everything right and ship on time and ship an item as described - it might take as little as 5 days to get the money - if they even hold it at all.

Last week I listed on the money marketplace a 1955 flat pack proof set for sale. CDN bid price was $95 or $100, but I listed it for $80 (20% back of bid!) shipped - I wanted a quick sale. 2-3 days and no replies at all (unless you count the clown that offered me melt value for it cause "that's all it's worth").

So I took it off and listed it on eBay, in a 3-day auction, starts at 99c, No reserve price. It sold for $127.50 (item 271078412115).

Excellent reply. I also still sell on ebay in bunches when my collecting becomes accumulating. I have never had them hold a penny of mine ( I sell items from $25 type coins to $1000+ slabs, bullion or sets).

I also have currently been posting items here in MoneyMarketplace--most at 30 to 40% below retail or PCGS/NGC priceguides and except for my first list of Walkers have had lukewarm response. If I can't share with my fellow collectors a bargain--then I'll sell at higher costs and let ebay have their cut.

I usually end up about the same in my pocket. I try and give our community here first dibs but with tens of thousands of coin addicts on ebay hungry to bid--I'll take more for my coins and let the greedy corp have theirs......( they even take 9% of your shipping fees now also !!)

But now?

Excellent reply. I also still sell on ebay in bunches when my collecting becomes accumulating. I have never had them hold a penny of mine ( I sell items from $25 type coins to $1000+ slabs, bullion or sets).

I also have currently been posting items here in MoneyMarketplace--most at 30 to 40% below retail or PCGS/NGC priceguides and except for my first list of Walkers have had lukewarm response. If I can't share with my fellow collectors a bargain--then I'll sell at higher costs and let ebay have their cut.

I usually end up about the same in my pocket. I try and give our community here first dibs but with tens of thousands of coin addicts on ebay hungry to bid--I'll take more for my coins and let the greedy corp have theirs......( they even take 9% of your shipping fees now also !!)

Exactly.

By the way, greedy eBay sellers are the ones to blame for the fee on shipping charges.

For YEARS, they were scamming eBay out of their fees by selling a $300 item for $1, with $299 shipping fee. So they paid the FVF on $1 while making a $300 sale. I mean, i know its hard with all the fees, but if you don't like the fees - go sell somewhere else!

So eBay had had enough of that and decided to put an end to it by charging a fee on the shipping charge too - and so the few greedy sellers screwed the rest of us.

Sellers like you are quite clearly not who I was referring to in my post.

I'm guessing you didn't really read my post....?

EDIT: My apologies, now I know you didn't read my post.

:)

They screw everybody, rather than enforce their policy of not allowing excessive shipping charges. I guess in the long run it just increases their profits.

I guess.. Though they do encourage you to list items with free shipping and give all kinds of benefits for those who do

I did read your post.

You did not refer to any specific kind of "sellers like me", as your title reads : "why would ANYBODY Choose to sell on eBay?"

I guess you either didn't like my comment or weren't very clear on your post cause I answered to the complaints in your message.. And simply answered the question you asked, which was why i would choose to sell my stuff on eBay..

Please enlighten me. Why do you think I didn't read your post? How was my reply off-topic??

Yup...lots of eyeballs means more sales.

I do think there is a "window" of value that eBay is good for. Selling cheap items probably isn't worth it over the long haul and bigger items (other than autos I suppose) probably doesn't work (rare coins anyway) but there seems to be a sweet spot between $100 to about $1500 where you can do well selling. Especially when the bidiots get going. :devil:

I wonder how eBay is going to handle possible deals being done outside of eBay like Jason mentioned. What prevents seller from getting outside deals?

As to "bankruptcy": ain't gonna happen...at least as long as eBay owns PayPal. PP is a windfall from a business standpoint. I'm even considering buying the stock.

jom

I did read your post.

You did not refer to any specific kind of "sellers like me", as your title reads : "why would ANYBODY Choose to sell on eBay?"

I guess you either didn't like my comment or weren't very clear on your post cause I answered to the complaints in your message.. And simply answered the question you asked, which was why i would choose to sell my stuff on eBay..

Please enlighten me. Why do you think I didn't read your post? How was my reply off-topic??

First off, you quoted something I never said:

"decided to go back to selling on eBay"

If you're going to quote somebody, you need to make sure it was something that they actually said. Otherwise, it's not a quote.

Secondly...I never said anything about being "off-topic", so I'm not quite sure where you got that one, either.

Third, the thread title was "why would anybody choose to sell on eBay anymore." The word "anymore" is the modifier of that sentence, and it alters the sentence to mean "why would someone choose eBay who hadn't used eBay before?" (though I admit to a bit of vaguery on that point, so my thanks for allowing me to clarify.)

Read my post again, then read the rest of the thread. All will become clear. I don't mean to sound condescending, but if you're not going to take the time to read and understand what's been said, discussion isn't possible. I didn't "dislike" your comments, they were perfectly fine...they simply had nothing to do with what I posted.

The #1 cause of conflict on message boards is not understanding/comprehending what someone else has said, but responding anyway.

:foryou:

Yup...lots of eyeballs means more sales.

I do think there is a "window" of value that eBay is good for. Selling cheap items probably isn't worth it over the long haul and bigger items (other than autos I suppose) probably doesn't work (rare coins anyway) but there seems to be a sweet spot between $100 to about $1500 where you can do well selling. Especially when the bidiots get going. :devil:

I wonder how eBay is going to handle possible deals being done outside of eBay like Jason mentioned. What prevents seller from getting outside deals?

As to "bankruptcy": ain't gonna happen...at least as long as eBay owns PayPal. PP is a windfall from a business standpoint. I'm even considering buying the stock.

jom

Yeah, there really does seem to be a nice place for sales to work. Most of what I sell is in the $100-$500 range, and it works well. Anything below about $50, and it's really not worth the time (though it has to be done to get the eyeballs), and anything over a couple thousand or so doesn't really fly, either (for the obvious "why are you selling such a valuable item on eBay??" reactions.)

As far as outside deals, eBay has gotten extremely aggressive at eliminating any sort of possibility for contact outside the system. Now, their message system is aggressively parsed to simply make any sniff of an e-mail address simply vanish from the message entirely. Leads to confusing messages, for sure.

As far as outside deals, eBay has gotten extremely aggressive at eliminating any sort of possibility for contact outside the system. Now, their message system is aggressively parsed to simply make any sniff of an e-mail address simply vanish from the message entirely. Leads to confusing messages, for sure.

I haven't had that problem... yet.

I haven't had that problem... yet.

I think I have had my email address omitted before from an Ebay contact message, but last time I tried it with my plain old email address, it went through. So, I was able to complete an outside deal.

If the recipient had not gotten my address, I might have used something like:

silversomething at gmail dot com

Actually, it's very simple. Do the math. If the sell price minus the costs of listing on eBay yields an acceptable profit then list the coin on eBay. Yes, you may have to go through a period of trial and error, but any reasonable person should quickly realize whether or not eBay is an acceptable market place for a specific item. eBay is a tool, use it if it helps your goal, change the tool if it doesn't work.

Why not take advantage of the various sites that specialize in coin sales/auctions. I've sold coins with Heritage and Goldberg and have received very positive results. There are dozens more sites for coin sales available.

It's a big marketplace, chose wisely.

Carl

Actually, it's very simple. Do the math. If the sell price minus the costs of listing on eBay yields an acceptable profit then list the coin on eBay. Yes, you may have to go through a period of trial and error, but any reasonable person should quickly realize whether or not eBay is an acceptable market place for a specific item. eBay is a tool, use it if it helps your goal, change the tool if it doesn't work.

If only it were that simple. How does one do the math if one lists items at, say, 99 cents, to "see where the market will go"..?

How about if there's a non-paying bidder? How does one do the math beforehand, if there's someone who won't pay, and the seller is forced to list the item again (and pay the listing fee again)...?

How about if a seller is in a rough situation and needs some cash sooner than 3 weeks...? Oh, but wait, it's not 3 weeks...it's...some arbitrary period based on when someone receives the item, over which the seller doesn't really have control...? How does one decide if it's worth it if they have absolutely no idea when they are actually going to get paid?

There's all sorts of unquantifiable issues like "how much is my time worth to deal with a bad faith buyer who is claiming an item isn't as described?" "How much is it worth if someone files a claim that they never received the item, even if tracking shows they did?" "What if someone wants to return something?" "What if someone files a chargeback?"

These are things that cannot be anticipated, or quantified, so it's impossible to do the math in the face of these situations.

Faced with all of these unknown and unknowable factors, some obvious, some much less so, PLUS eBay's hurdles, I'm not sure why someone who had never used eBay before would choose to use it.

Why not take advantage of the various sites that specialize in coin sales/auctions.

I'm not talking about myself, and I'm not talking about just coins. I'm referring to any new seller who has never sold on eBay. The hoops are immense.

By the way....

For those who aren't aware, eBay has made a very concerted effort in the last 6-7 years to move AWAY from the "flea market" model, into the "instant marketplace" model, making it much more difficult for small sellers to enter that marketplace, in preference to an Amazon.com style "Gotta get it NOW!" favoring gigantic sellers who sell everything.

So yes, eBay has purposely made it much, much more difficult to be a small, start-up, occasional seller because they specifically don't want those types of sellers.

If only it were that simple. How does one do the math if one lists items at, say, 99 cents, to "see where the market will go"..?

How about if there's a non-paying bidder? How does one do the math beforehand, if there's someone who won't pay, and the seller is forced to list the item again (and pay the listing fee again)...?

How about if a seller is in a rough situation and needs some cash sooner than 3 weeks...? Oh, but wait, it's not 3 weeks...it's...some arbitrary period based on when someone receives the item, over which the seller doesn't really have control...? How does one decide if it's worth it if they have absolutely no idea when they are actually going to get paid?

There's all sorts of unquantifiable issues like "how much is my time worth to deal with a bad faith buyer who is claiming an item isn't as described?" "How much is it worth if someone files a claim that they never received the item, even if tracking shows they did?" "What if someone wants to return something?" "What if someone files a chargeback?"

These are things that cannot be anticipated, or quantified, so it's impossible to do the math in the face of these situations.

Faced with all of these unknown and unknowable factors, some obvious, some much less so, PLUS eBay's hurdles, I'm not sure why someone who had never used eBay before would choose to use it.

Why not take advantage of the various sites that specialize in coin sales/auctions.

I'm not talking about myself, and I'm not talking about just coins. I'm referring to any new seller who has never sold on eBay. The hoops are immense.

By the way....

For those who aren't aware, eBay has made a very concerted effort in the last 6-7 years to move AWAY from the "flea market" model, into the "instant marketplace" model, making it much more difficult for small sellers to enter that marketplace, in preference to an Amazon.com style "Gotta get it NOW!" favoring gigantic sellers who sell everything.

So yes, eBay has purposely made it much, much more difficult to be a small, start-up, occasional seller because they specifically don't want those types of sellers.

Each point you stated is about the cost of doing business on eBay. Time, listing fees, customer issues, etc. If it is not profitable then don't use eBay. A reasonable person may look to explore using eBay as a sales outlet and then determine if "the juice is worth the squeeze".

If eBay doesn't work then move on. I, as a matter of fact, have found that eBay does not work for me as a sales outlet. I've moved on.

Carl

And again...my point is that one can't figure out if it's worth it to them without having to jump through all these hoops just to get started.

I agree with you...if eBay doesn't work, then move on. But getting to the point of being able to figure out if it's working or not...that's the part that isn't so simple...

PS...you say that all the unknowables I mentioned above are part of "the cost of doing business on eBay." But that can't be true, because there are lots of sellers who have never dealt with those issues, and there are lots of sellers who do nothing BUT deal with those issues...so how does one compute those into the "cost of doing business on eBay" if their individual experience is different from everyone else's...?

And again...my point is that one can't figure out if it's worth it to them without having to jump through all these hoops just to get started.

I agree with you...if eBay doesn't work, then move on. But getting to the point of being able to figure out if it's working or not...that's the part that isn't so simple...

PS...you say that all the unknowables I mentioned above are part of "the cost of doing business on eBay." But that can't be true, because there are lots of sellers who have never dealt with those issues, and there are lots of sellers who do nothing BUT deal with those issues...so how does one compute those into the "cost of doing business on eBay" if their individual experience is different from everyone else's...?

The various costs ie. time, eBay fees, customer issues, etc., have to be uncovered through the experience of selling on eBay. There will always be variables that you cannot foresee. As you mentioned, returns, unjustified customer claims and so on. You have to go through the process. My point is that once someone has listed a few items they can then evaluate whether eBay is working for them or not.

The costs associated with "unknowables" will very from seller to seller and listing to listing. Yes, you do have to "jump through hoops" to get started. But then you look at the overall results and decide for yourself if your results are satisfactory or not.

If we are talking about a single listing, then I agree, it is a roll of the dice.

I've learned not to sell certain items on eBay. Not worth it to me.

Carl