• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do I tell if my coin is fake?

12 posts in this topic

I got a coin on e-bay, US$15.

Republic of Somalia, Nelson Mandela Millenium Icons. 250 Shillings Tri-Metal.

The only info I could find on the coin was a dealer in world coins who listed 2 varieties, a CuNi (25 Shillings US$8) and a PrSi (250 Shillings - US$40).

The lister of this coin stated it as a rare coin (needless to say that I can no longer locate it on e-bay history). The amount was negligable for me, so I decided I would take the chance and get it - and figured even if it turned up fake it would be an "interesting" addition to my collection of Mandela profile Legal Tender. (So I baught a coin, thinking it was probably fake. I might have pre-biased myself on this one). tonofbricks.gif

The question stands, this coin doesn't look real to me. If it is, then perhaps a really bad strike and poor composition. Based on the denomination, it is supposed to be PrSi plated with gold and copper. The 2 platings are the same colour and have some strange black scrape-like marks on the reverse. There are horrible hair-lines in the centre plating. There are ridges in the design where the plating joins.

I have never seen a tri-metal coin in hand before, so I can't tell if these things are normal. What can you tell me? (and do any catalogues list this perculiar coin?)

hi.gif

Collecting Mandela Legal Tender World coins

To start with by posting a picture, or at least giving the date on the coin and a description of it's design and legends.

The only coin I can find in the 2005 Krause that comes close to matching your description is KM#72, a 25 shilling cu-ni weighing 20g and about 38mm in width, with Mandella's portrait on the obverse. It is one of a series of six coins with the legend "Millenium Icons" and a 2000 date. Their subjects are extremely diverse:

• Churchill
  • Pope John Paul II
  • Che Guevara
  • Mandella
  • Emperor Hirohito
  • Mao Tse Tung!

The Hirohito and Mao coins are described as "prooflike" and catalog at $7 Unc.; the others catalog at $5 Unc.

Che Guevara is the only one of the six for which Krause lists a 250 shilling coin. (That does not necessarily mean there aren't others, as Krause is absolutely not infallible.) 893frustrated.gifKM#104 has a cu-ni ring around a brass center (only two metals), It's also 38mm, but a little heavier at 2.1g.

I'm assuming the prices you quote are what that dealer is asking, since they don't match the Krause listings at all.

I also have the same issue...

birds.jpg

I bought this for about $15 assuming the coin is just in a very bad shape, as the pic on ebay didnt show much.

when i got it, tonofbricks.gif I right away descided is fake cause it looks too good.

it have luster and I would say gXF which krause suggest $300

so i just left it on my shelf.

also it looks like a very weak strike over all, it gets worse as if you look at the sun beams, few are missing and no trace for them at all, (compare to krause pic)

and the sun itself... hmmm.. i cant really tell if that how it should look from the pic on krause.

anyhows while after, when i finally got me a scale...

I scaled it for the sport of it, and it weights 26.5 gram, which suprisingly close to the 26.7 krause list.

first thing was acetone bath but as I still 99% sure its fake,

I just put it into a cardboard flip and not air tite :-)

I right away descided is fake
Unfortunately, I think you are right. Republic of China Y#344 is one of several 1 yuan coins that are currently very heavily counterfeited as "collector" pieces, not created for circulation in 1932 when the original was issued. There should be a clear arc to the sun, with approximately one-half showing above the water, with one-quarter of the circumference extending to the rim.

Silly me - no date - just "millenium" & don't know how to take pictures yet foreheadslap.gif

I'll learn - Spy's post helps - any one else got tips go answer my Q in the Permanent Coin FAQ's flowerred.gif

Best I can do is say - Yeah, you are right on the knuckle finding my coin in Krause. thumbsup2.gif (what is the mintage according to Krause) and here is a link to the dealer selling the others. (Being a dealer, I think they load the price)

http://www.24carat.co.uk/2000somaliamillenniumicons.html

Size is about 38mm and 2mm thick

The coin does look the same as far as details go, there is a milled edge, and the finer details of the cats are present. The strike does look good. Just the platings are suspect, the silver does have good lustre.

I was hoping for some standard run-of-the-mil tests I could try to see if it was a real deal or a flyer. Like "bite the coin and see if it dents" or "apply a solvent and see if it melts" ... confused-smiley-013.gif

hi.gif

what is the mintage according to Krause
None specified.
Just the platings are suspect
Neither Krause nor the dealer's site you posted have any text about plating, and none of the pictures look like partial plating has occurred, so unfortunately I suspect that you are looking at some kind of poorly done, after-market modification.893frustrated.gif

You write that one of the coins is made of PrSi, this seems to me to be an awfully odd chemical composition. Could that be a typo? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You write that one of the coins is made of PrSi, this seems to me to be an awfully odd chemical composition. Could that be a typo?
Based on the available information, that appears to be the Seller's abbreviation for "PRoof SIlver" (even though the Mandella silver coin is not a proof. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think you are absolutely correct, satootoko. Either that, or someone is trying to make coins out of a praseodymium-silicon combination, which I have never heard of before.

"praseodymium-silicon combination"

That's the new alloy the mint is working with for next year's commemorative. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH:

"praseodymium-silicon combination" That's the new alloy the mint is working with for next year's commemorative.
Doesn't strike me as very suitable for use as a coin metal 893naughty-thumb.gif

SOMALIA 2000 250Sh TriMet . Issued in Tri-Metal Proof, part of the "Millenium Icons" series- Nelson Mandela. This coin is struck in three phases: centre and rings in Brass, alternately plated with silver and gold. The mintage was just 100 pieces. This coin is rare and is not listed in Krause catalog- but similar common 250 shillings coin have a catalog value between $25 and $35.

?? Here is a link -http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=533&item=3920888739&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

I have learned to take pictures - last night - so you'll start seeing things that I've been ranting about soon. (must get my disk to speak to my computer first).

hi.gif