• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2012 Proof Sets

5 posts in this topic

OK, I just got my final 2 proof sets in the mail, I have 4 sets total. Was going to send for grading, now I'm wondering if the best course of action might be to just buy the 2 proofs in PF 70. Or do I send and get them in the new retro black holder? Any opinions? Alternate ideas?

It seems like you are looking for two specific coins in PR-70, and if that is your goal, I'd buy the two coins and not try to do it by buying Proof sets from the mint and having them graded.

I stopped buying Proof sets directly from the mint a few years ago because I was getting too many problem coins. Forget about PR-70 pieces, I was getting too many coins with spots, marks and fingerprints that would not have made PR-67 IMO.

The PR-70 grade is a very high standard, and only a small percentage of the Proof coins that are issued make it. There is a good chance that none of the coins in your four Proof sets will make the PR-70 grade, and a very slim chance that the coins you want will make it. At any rate you need to be able to grade to a point so that you won't waste your money by sending in coins that have no chance of making PR-70.

My advice is buy the coins in the holders that you want, and don't depend upon "getting lucky."

It seems like you are looking for two specific coins in PR-70, and if that is your goal, I'd buy the two coins and not try to do it by buying Proof sets from the mint and having them graded.

I stopped buying Proof sets directly from the mint a few years ago because I was getting too many problem coins. Forget about PR-70 pieces, I was getting too many coins with spots, marks and fingerprints that would not have made PR-67 IMO.

The PR-70 grade is a very high standard, and only a small percentage of the Proof coins that are issued make it. There is a good chance that none of the coins in your four Proof sets will make the PR-70 grade, and a very slim chance that the coins you want will make it. At any rate you need to be able to grade to a point so that you won't waste your money by sending in coins that have no chance of making PR-70.

My advice is buy the coins in the holders that you want, and don't depend upon "getting lucky."

+1

If you are looking for a PF-70 in the NGC Retro holder, I am sure Coinvault will have them...Althought I am not sure what the difference in cost will be between the black and white NGC holders, From what I read, the Retro holders are priced a bit to high. I'm not sure.

I have taken similar gambles with Proof ASEs, I sent 10 in and all but one came back PF69, one was PF68. But with the Proof sets, Its a shot in the dark if you submit them and IMO if you really want PF70s, buy them instead. It might save you some money also if your submission coins come back below PF68.

-Dave

Keep one set to show and send it the rest in. I find the challenge in finding coins I like to send it that I think will get the grading I expect. It is a train exercise for me. Also it helps me with my insurance since I have my coins slabbed with a value on them from NGC. Next best thing to get them appraise just my opinion.

Everyone one is right in that you will be taking a gamble on the coins. I sent in 5 1986 ASE Proofs only to get 4 graded at PF69 and one improperly cleaned. I am still learning in how coin grading works.

best_category2011.gif

Happy Coin Collecting.

Ed

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg