• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can I get some thoughts on my morgan/peace dollars?

22 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I'm normally over in the comic book forum but I got out my old coin collection today and need some opinions if someone doesn't mind helping me out. I got these from when I was 9-11 years old (i'm now 27) and know nothing about coins. All I knew at the time was I liked the way they looked, they weren't too expensive and as a young kid they gave me a hobby to get into. If anyone can take a quick glance and tell me If I have anything that stands out or what the total value might be I would really appreciate it. I tried doing an ebay search but not knowing what these grade at left me at a dead end. the 1881 and 1883 morgan's are marked S the rest are unmarked. Thank you guys.

img044-Copy.jpg

img045-Copy.jpg

img044-Copy2.jpg

img045-Copy2.jpg

just curious, do you remember what you paid?

If I remember correctly I paid $8 for the 1881. most/all were under $10 I think, would have never paid more than that at the time. I didn't even know what they were worth when I bought them so I didn't want to pay alot for any coin. Haven't collected them for a long time but I stll find them to be beautiful.

I'm no expert, but looking at the values, you have common dates it looks like, prob in the range of 30-35 each, graded. but the middle bottom morgan looks very nice might be slightly higher, and probably the same for the 2 peace dollars, not what you wanted to hear, but thats a nice little appreciation. Please don't take my quick look as definitive. Some of the others will give you better answers

Hey thanks I appreciate it. I figured I had nothing special or they would have been priced higher to begin with. Hopefully someone else will chime in. They could be worth $5 a piece and it wouldn't bother me. Just wanted to learn a little more about what I had after all this time.

All of those dollars are common pieces in their respective grades. The 1883-S would be an expensive coin in Mint State (Over $550 in MS-60), but the one you have only grades VF. The 1921 Morgan dollar appears to be Mint State or very close to it, but that is a very common date that brings no premium. In fact dealers who buy and sell Morgan dollars often specify that they are less interested in the 1921 Morgan dollar because it is so common.

In general you have a group of coins that might interest novice collectors, but there are no "home runs." You made a nice investment because the price of silver has increased the value of these to pieces to two and three times what you paid. Of course if the silver prices goes down, the value of these pieces will go down as well.

BTW congratulations on the Orioles' great season. I know you guys have been a long suffering group just like we Phillie fans were back in the 1960s and early '70s. It's great when you team finally does well. I'm also a Boston fan, and the less said about this season the better. :eek:

Good luck against the Yankees. I hope you kick their butts. When comes to the American League, I have two favorite teams, Boston and the any team that beats the Yankees. ;)

That's a nice group of dollars. They each contain approximately $26-$27 worth of silver based upon today's spot price. However, they are each worth several dollars more because they are classic US coinage. A good website to tell you the spot price of metals and the bullion value of US coins is Coinflation.

I did some research on Morgan Dollars this week for an article that I was writing. My conclusion on the subject is that they have such an extensive history a bigger history than any other coin on the market.

If you have one with an "S" mint mark I believe that means it was minted in San Francisco.

After everything I learn so far someone should write a book on the Morgan Dollar and the different varieties that are out there.

I would keep the collection. Your still young and the coins will only go up in value.

If you have one with an "S" mint mark I believe that means it was minted in San Francisco.

Yes. Your research seems like it's coming along fine.

After everything I learn so far someone should write a book on the Morgan Dollar and the different varieties that are out there.

Now, that's funny!

(There have been many, many books written about the Morgan Dollar.)

coinschick,

How can you possibly write an article about the Morgan Dollar that's worth reading?

(Unless, of course, English isn't a language in which you are skilled.)

Now, that's funny!

coinschick,

How can you possibly write an article about the Morgan Dollar that's worth reading?

You are not serious are you? Just because one person writes a book does not mean someone else cannot write something.

Now, that's funny!

coinschick,

Because it seems as if you are belittling her, if I am wrong, I apologize in advance

No, I'm asking a serious question.

Then you should know that there is always more room to write on this subject. Weather or not it is ground breaking or new info is not relative. Still can be a good read.

Do you think that nothing else can possibly be written because it has already been done or that because of her lack of experience she would have nothing of value to add? Maybe that would give her article a new perspective on the subject

There are likely many numismatic subjects, including Morgan dollars, that could benefit from clear, thoughtful articles. Modern research has cleared away a lot of “numismyth” and false stories invented by dealers and others to sell coins.

(For example, I currently have a 60 page article on the model for the Morgan dollar. Mostly new research. That information could be condensed into part of a basic introduction to the Morgan dollar article.)

There are likely many numismatic subjects, including Morgan dollars, that could benefit from clear, thoughtful articles. Modern research has cleared away a lot of “numismyth” and false stories invented by dealers and others to sell coins.

(For example, I currently have a 60 page article on the model for the Morgan dollar. Mostly new research. That information could be condensed into part of a basic introduction to the Morgan dollar article.)

The problem is, without doing a lot of intensive research and work like you do, most articles are just going to be recycling old information. And unfortunately, the most easily accessible information (for now) is still numismyth.