• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1943-C Newfoundland AU Toner

9 posts in this topic

I just got back a batch of Newfoundland coins I sent to NGC for grading, and I thought I would share one of the coins that just blows me away. The coin is a fairly common silver coin, but I have never seen one tone like this. I don;t know how some of you guys get those pictures of wicked toning. I tried every angle, every type of lighting, and this is the best I can come up with. The coin in hand has almost a florescent electric blue that fades to a rich gold on the reverse. I have a MS-62 in my registry set, I sent this one in just to see if it would come back artificial toning. I'm pleased with NGC's opinion of AU-58. I would have given an AU-50 at best. Anyway Enjoy the pics.....

Have a great day

Jim

130603.jpg.0b5c1c80989c3b3130854ed6e6ab01f7.jpg

130604.jpg.e1b3a167c0753670268877903711f1ee.jpg

I share your skepticism about the grade, but I have to agree that it's a beaut. I am guessing that the photo's lighting makes the obverse scratches and dings look much more pronounced than when the slab is in hand. Detail-wise, it's everything I could want from AU. Nice piece.

I have seen this coin in hand and the toning on the reverse will knock your socks off. As good as the photos are they only hint at the beauty of this coin.

I share your skepticism about the grade, but I have to agree that it's a beaut. I am guessing that the photo's lighting makes the obverse scratches and dings look much more pronounced than when the slab is in hand. Detail-wise, it's everything I could want from AU. Nice piece.

Not that I would ever sell this coin, the toning is breathtaking when viewed in hand. But I think this coin is where that cliche comes from "Buy the coin not the holder" This is one of the VERY few times that I've seen NGC over grade a coin. The only thing I can think of how they came up with an AU-58 is that they took both Obverse and Reverse into account. The reverse on this coin when looked at with a 10x glass to me looks MS+ but then again the Obverse when viewed with 10x glass looks AU at best.

HiHo tells me that they have some type of formula for coming up with the total grade and the obverse has some percentage of the grade and the reverse has some percentage of the grade and then they average the two to come up with the final grade. In this case that sort of makes sense. Ether way I am just enamored with this particular Newfy. :)

Cheers

Jim

I'm pleased with NGC's opinion of AU-58. I would have given an AU-50 at best. Anyway Enjoy the pics.....

Have a great day

Jim

I agree with the grade, Jim. When I know I'm in circulated, I'm looking for one thing, wear. That's a good technical grade on it.