• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Registry of Die Varieties of Reeded Edge Half Dollars: Book Review

13 posts in this topic

I just got the new book about Reeded Edge half dollars in the mail. For those of you unaware, it came out this summer, written by Di ck Graham. The excellent introduction was written by Dr. TomB. If you are at all interested in this red-headed stepchild of the half dollar series, this book is essential (and with a limited print run, you better get it fast!)

The book starts with a fantastic introduction, setting the stage for the series, talking about the production of the coin and the environment it was produced in. Tom talks a bit about why the Reeded Edge is not very popular, and how it doesn't really fit as a continuation of the Capped Bust Half - but it shares enough to sometimes be lumped together. He then goes on to provide a very interesting analysis of the mintage of 1836 - showing very good numerical analysis why the 1836 Reeded half probably has a mintage closer to 20k (rather than Breen's estimate of 1200). I would have liked a bit more information on striking characteristics (why are so many Reeded Edge halves so weakly struck and ugly?), and I would have liked some information on peculiarities of grading this series. Every series has its own unique grading characteristics, and this book doesn't cover that at all.

The remainder of the book is a detailed analysis of each die variety.This section gives detailed close-up photographs of important die markers, talks about die characteristics and die stages, gives a summary of collecting each marriage, and provides rarity estimates. One of the few weakness of the book is that there are not photo's of different die stages. The text calls out markers for various die stages, but no photo's clarify what each refers to - almost all of the closeup photo's are focused on arcane die markers which are impossible to see on anything less than an AU-55 coin (and I know this because I tried with all my might to locate the markers called out for my coins, which grade EF-40). A couple photo's of key die cracks might be a useful tool to incorporate in a later edition of the text.

This book differentiates itself from Reiver's old manual by being easy to read, easy to identify coins, and presented in a clear and (mostly) logical manner. Reiver identified numerous die states of marriages, and often assigned them a new number thinking they were a different marriage. Graham has renumbered, recatalogued, and revised Reiver's system to make a clear system that anyone can use. If collecting Reeded Edge halves ever becomes popular, this new book and its numbering system will be an integral part of any collector's bookshelf.

where would one get a book like that? ebay, overstock or other venues?

TomB apparently sold out of his copies rather quickly, so I had to buy mine from http://www.davidkahnrarecoins.com/p-894-a-registry-of-die-varieties-of-reeded-edge-half-dollars-1836-1839-by--graham-65.aspx

BTW, David Kahn seems to be a pretty good dealer as well. I ordered an 1835 Bust Half at the same time as the book, and it arrived within 3 days.

I picked up my copy from Tom B and I have to say that I found it to be excellent.

I was able to attribute both of my 1839's which grade in the EF40-45 range

I have had a bit more trouble with an 1838 which is AU, though I've narrowed it down to two varieties. I suspect the more experience I have the easier it will get :)

I picked up my copy from Tom B and I have to say that I found it to be excellent.

I was able to attribute both of my 1839's which grade in the EF40-45 range

I have had a bit more trouble with an 1838 which is AU, though I've narrowed it down to two varieties. I suspect the more experience I have the easier it will get :)

Can you post pictures? I might be able to help you.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NGC is attributing these coins by GR numbers under its VarietyPlus service. I agree that the book is easy to use and most welcome.

NGC is attributing these coins by GR numbers under its VarietyPlus service. I agree that the book is easy to use and most welcome.

Oh, I hadn't heard this. That is really cool, and I'll be submitting mine (eventually) for designation. I haven't seen any slabs designated yet, but I guess it must have just started recently?

You have to give it a little time, the book just came out in late August. I would not suspect the number of reeded edge halves is high, and few of those people who submitted them knew about the new reference or requested attribution.

No, the die state estimated rarities are not included.

I had sold off all my Reeded Edge Capped Bust Half Dollars due to the difficulty I had in attributing them with the Jules Reiver notes. Graham has given us a book that had made attributing these coins so much more enjoyable. I only wish I could find some to include in my PCGS Registry Sets.