• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Antique Stores and Coins...

7 posts in this topic

Generally, the two don't really go together. The few coins I see for sale are generally priced way above current selling trends and/or are priced like every coin is a "rare" coin.

I can't help but look when I see coins, medals, tokens and just about anything of and/or related to coins. Sometimes I get lucky and find something I can actually buy, but usually I just pass.

I usually always look at booksellers and 99 times out of 100 strike out here too... Today was slightly different - I found two sellers in the same shop with a few coin books each and almost bought 2 of them...

The first book a review of US Commemrative coins written by Arlie Slabaugh and published in 1962 was a unique hardcovered book published on glossy paper. I loved the subject and price, but was a little "skeered", as we say in the South. The book had some mildew staining all over the cover and while the pages were in great shape I was a little worried about the cover. I passed on this one.

The second book was a Collectors Series book published by Wayte Raymond in the early sixties. This one is more of a booklet and focused on early Large Cents and was basically a study on die marriages. This one was in good shape and had a stamp from a local Charleston coin shop from the sixties. The seller wanted $20, which I thought was a little steep for a 20 page booklet. Perhaps I'm wrong on this one, if for no other reason than it was published by Wayte Raymond. I also thought perhaps that I could find it for less money on eBay - a foolish thought at times...

I'm now kind of wishing I had bought the Large Cent book. Anyone out there have experience with Wayte Raymond Collectors series books? They have a sort of chocolate brown heavyweight paper cover, glossy pages with pictures and a fairly simple. Sort of reminds me of a much smaller version of the ANA magazine from the first half of the 20th century. Is $20 fair for one of these? I'd appreciate any feedback any of you might have.

One last thing in the same shop that caught my eye. I usually ignore medals but a Ringling Bros. & Barnum & Bailey circus medal celebrating their 100th anniversary in 1970 was quite interesting. It looked to be a copper or bronze issue with the original card when issued. It was slightly over priced as there are currently two on eBay for $15 - but this example had some rather unique toning that enhanced the beauty of the obverse.

Today's pic the reverse of my Washington Carver Commem, as an homage to the Arlie Slabaugh book I wanted...

12153.JPG

See more journals by TD Henson

Well although there are some Antique stores that have coins for sale at urealistic prices. But there are people like that everywhere. On eBay there are sellers who have listed the same coin over and over again for months with no offers or anything. Asking $100,000.99 for a $60,000.00 coin is psychotic but the sellers can ask what they want, its their coins. There are also people who call themselves "coin dealers" who got into the business to make quick cash. Sad but true, there are PawnShops everywhere that are scams compared to actual real Coin Dealers.

I agree 100% with your point about getting lucky at shops. I find "treasures" at Flea Markets and Yard Sales very often.

I think, in any case, it comes down to either the seller, (individual or business) asking to much, or not knowing what they have and giving it away and we (the buyers) just need to shop around.

At my shop, I buy sell and trade Coins, Currency, Antiques, Action figures and vintage toys, Vintage and retro items and any collectible item you could think of. I got into that "industry" because there are alost zero stores that deal in everything that I deal in. One store might just deal with coins and currency, but not know anything about Militaria or 1930's Lithographed toys.

Same applies to a store that buys and sells antiques. The owner or employees might know everything about 1900's-1940's period items and Art Deco or Victorian era stuff. But if you bring them 100 graded Morgan Dollars, they probably wouldn't know where to even look for prices.

Awesome pick ups you got though! I'm not one for older publications but I inherited some over the last 2 years.

-Dave

Todd -

I have quite a bit of experience with used/rare/antiquarian books and while I've never seen the books you describe I would think that 20 bucks or so is not out of line.

Generally speaking, the more specialized or esoteric a books subject matter the smaller the print run which results in a higher price.

For finding used books check out Advanced Book Exchange

This an online marketplace where used booksellers can list their inventory and you may purchase direct through ABE.

Another is viaLibri this site searches multiple book inventory databases.

What is great is that you can search by publisher, author, limit to certain dates, and sort by price. At viaLibri you can even check "No PODs" to eliminate all those Print on Demand books.

Here is a LINK to Wayte Raymond (as publisher) copies found through ABE

If any thing it will give you a good idea if that 20 is in line, but you may find it cheaper.

-Doug

Todd -

I have quite a bit of experience with used/rare/antiquarian books and while I've never seen the books you describe I would think that 20 bucks or so is not out of line.

Generally speaking, the more specialized or esoteric a books subject matter the smaller the print run which results in a higher price.

For finding used books check out Advanced Book Exchange

This an online marketplace where used booksellers can list their inventory and you may purchase direct through ABE.

Another is viaLibri this site searches multiple book inventory databases.

What is great is that you can search by publisher, author, limit to certain dates, and sort by price. At viaLibri you can even check "No PODs" to eliminate all those Print on Demand books.

Here is a LINK to Wayte Raymond (as publisher) copies found through ABE

If any thing it will give you a good idea if that 20 is in line, but you may find it cheaper.

-Doug

Doug -

Awesome resources and the book in question does show up in the Wayte Raymond listing for $25 + $3.75 shipping - so perhaps it wasn't a bad deal... Thanks for the thorough reply I appreciate you sharing your expertise!

Todd

The books you mentioned - and many old coin hobby books - are simply remainders and of no collector value either as "rare" book or for their obsolete content. Copies of J.H. Judd’s original pattern book can be purchased in new condition for a couple of dollars.