• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Real Dilemma! What would you do if...(REVEALED!)

73 posts in this topic

Even if the upper lines were not there, it qualifies for FBL under PCGS standards

The only way I evaluate coins is according to my personal standards. If the top bell lines are not there, I will not call it FBL (and will not pay the premium) - even if PCGS and CAC do.

Even if the upper lines were not there, it qualifies for FBL under PCGS standards

The only way I evaluate coins is according to my personal standards. If the top bell lines are not there, I will not call it FBL (and will not pay the premium) - even if PCGS and CAC do.

Who says that CAC assesses FBL, based only on the bottom lines?

Mark, this is from the CAC Reference Set page:

This reference set applies the FBL (Full Bell Lines) Standard most commonly employed by experienced Franklin collectors: Full separation of the bottom two lines on the Liberty Bell. No major disturbances of these two lines including cuts, marks, planchet imperfections, or striking deficiencies are allowed if they obfuscate the “valley” that separates the two lines.

This reference set applies the FBL (Full Bell Lines) Standard most commonly employed by experienced Franklin collectors: Full separation of the bottom two lines on the Liberty Bell. No major disturbances of these two lines including cuts, marks, planchet imperfections, or striking deficiencies are allowed if they obfuscate the “valley” that separates the two lines.

Thanks Doug and congratulations on the gold sticker. I have yet to receive one.

Who says that CAC assesses FBL, based only on the bottom lines?

CAC does, based on the information on their website.

Oops, I see Doug has already posted the quote.

For $10, I was able to confirm my belief, as it was in fact awarded a Gold sticker.

Congrats, Douglas! You now have your market MS67 from one of the most discriminating pairs of eyes in the business!

Congrats!!! However I must add that even though cac thinks its undergraded, if you sent it to pcgs or resubmit to ngc they may still give it a ms66.

Possible but doubtful. That coin would very likely upgrade. I certainly think that it would.

Congrats!!! However I must add that even though cac thinks its undergraded, if you sent it to pcgs or resubmit to ngc they may still give it a ms66.

Possible but doubtful. That coin would very likely upgrade. I certainly think that it would.

I would offer that a 66 with a gold sticker is as valuable as a 67 if not more. At least in today's market. A 66 with gold sticker is looked at as at LEAST a 67.5 if not better. Of course there is registry game that work against this premise in some cases. Personally I would rather have the 66 in this holder with a gold sticker. It's sexy and has mystique.

Congrat's!

MJ

That is absolutely true; CAC's opinion is that its better than 66, but the grading services could always disagree. That said (and as some have already mentioned), the Gold sticker, in and of itself, completes a package that will make the coin worth MS67 (forgo the FBL) money. Either way, the coin is a knockout, and I think originally did, and still do think it's 67 at PCGS/NGC.

Thanks Doug and congratulations on the gold sticker. I have yet to receive one.

Thanks, Mark. This is my third!

(forgo the FBL) money.

Doug, that also should get a "not necessarily," as FBL is a grading designation. CAC could very well be saying that's FBL, you just don't know. If that coin ever goes on the market, the jury is still out on that question. That is to say, if a gold bean means it's undergraded, that very well could relate to the bell lines designation, as well.

In other words, you did better than one might think on this one. ;)