• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crossover question

16 posts in this topic

I find it interesting that NGC grades some coins PL and PF CAM that PCGS does not.

If a PCGS coin is submitted for a NGC crossover will they give it a PL or PF CAM designation should it deserve it in a series not given such designations by PCGS? Can a submitter request the coin only be crossed if it would get such a designation?

For instance, would NGC possibly give this a CAM?

Thank You.

130222.jpg.a4ae77b0bac8a3d96edee7e598cab470.jpg

I find it interesting that NGC grades some coins PL and PF CAM that PCGS does not.

If a PCGS coin is submitted for a NGC crossover will they give it a PL or PF CAM designation should it deserve it in a series not given such designations by PCGS? Can a submitter request the coin only be crossed if it would get such a designation?

Thank You.

Yes. No. Maybe.

Lance.

Thank You.

Yes. No. Maybe.

Lance.

That's correct.

The coin will be evaluated under NGC standards for the CAM designation and will be awarded it if it qualifies.

You cannot request a coin be crossed only if it meets a particular designation.

It looks like it has a shot at CAMEO.

Thank You.

The better question to ask is, "Do NGC and PCGS have the same standard for the CAM designations?"

From PCGS website under Designations and No Grades:

PCGS.com - PCGS - Designations and No Grades

Cameo Proofs (CAM) - 1950-1970 Proof Coinage.

The obverse and reverse must exhibit devices which are at least lightly frosted and create a contrast with the fields.

Frostiness on the devices may be heavier yet contain areas where the frost is lacking or brilliance is evident.

A coin that exhibits Deep Cameo attributes on one side and Cameo attributes on the other side is considered only a Cameo.

Deep Cameo Proofs (DC) - 1950-1970 Proof Coinage

Heavily frosted devices on both the obverse and reverse, with no areas of the main devices unfrosted.

Heavy contrast between the fields and devices.

NGC designates proofs as CAM for present contrast between the field area and the central devices.

The better question to ask is, "Do NGC and PCGS have the same standard for the CAM designations?"

That would be a relevant question to ask if PCGS assigned the CAM and DCAM designations to RB and BN copper -- which they don't.

The OP's question is asked because PCGS didn't even consider the coin for CAM or DCAM status at the time of grading because it was given an RB color status. So, it's not necessarily a matter of PCGS not giving it CAM and NGC giving it CAM because of different standards.

Thank You.

For US coins, the PL designation doesn't exist at all at PCGS except for Morgan Dollars. Thus, NGC could grade any US coin with a PL designation that PCGS has graded and didn't note the designation (the same goes for the ★ designation).

Regarding CAM and DCAM designation of proofs -- PCGS strangely has made the decision to not grade any copper proofs with these designations unless they are full RD. That's a quirky decision on their part, and thus it's possible your proof IHC could get the CAM designation at NGC, but you can't request it -- it is simply given if the coin meets NGC's criteria.

NGC will give a coin a designation if in their opinion it deserves the designation. One may request that the coin be crossed only if it receives the designation, but NGC will categorically ignore that request and not honor the request. The coin in your images may or may not have CAM potential in-hand, but it is quite easy to take an image of a classic proof and make it look much more CAM than it actually is so I would not get too excited about it before you have a chance to inspect the coin.

922395-31b.jpg

Consignments106173_Combo_A.jpg

You can request an upgrade, but it won't happen if the coin doesn't meet the requirements.

This example was sold by me. :(

...it is quite easy to take an image of a classic proof and make it look much more CAM than it actually is...
Very true.

Lance.

I agree. And a person need not even try to make it look more cameo than it actually is - it often happens, on its own.