• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Photoshopping coins help

11 posts in this topic

Who can help me with using Photoshop for my Coin Imaging???

I've got down how to use the marquee tool to "cut" the coin out of its surroundings but I am really in need of help. So far I am just at the "cut and paste" stage.

I've never used Photoshop before and I am trying to figure it out for my Registry set photos.

If anyone can give me some pointers or instruction on how to make my images look professional I would really appreciate it.

tips like how to enhance the photo so the toning on the coin is clearer would be awesome also.

thanks.

-Dave

The best way to learn how to use photoshop is to use it, you will learn more by just getting images imported and start playing. The lessons are always better if you learn them yourself by your hard work. Just like imaging the coins themselves, there are no real shortcuts, just spend the time and figure it out.

Several types of presentations of coins shown below from simple to less simple. After 5 years, I am still refining and learning and I expect more evolution.

Best, HT

1827dJR6PCGSAU55.jpg

HT-18NGCMS63.jpg

HT-47L32NGCMS63RBcomp.jpg

SSMedal.jpg

1883-S5dPCGSMS63atlas.jpg

Once you crop it cut and open a new file to put it in. Then you can start to play with sizing and other features like shadows and text. Try to keep things simple and don't distract from the coin with unnecessary stuff, colors, flags, gimmicks. Those are fine for a certain edit but overall for the registry keep it simple.

Here is how my registry looks:

22.jpg

Cut and paste is a good start. Learn what layers are and what they mean, learn how to use the text tool, learn how to use the gradient tool, learn what masks are for, learn what the sharpening filters, and the image adjustment tools like levels, curves, hue, saturation, lightness, color balance can do. A local bookstore or library will have copious books on how to get started with Photoshop. Lots of practice will make you comfortable with it. One thing is for certain, however, and that is the fact that while you can't take a bad picture and make it good with Photoshop, you can take a good one and make it bad.