• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NES Grading

11 posts in this topic

Hi All

Just signed up and need some "EXPERT" advise

Just aquired a 1878S Morgan 1D with the following

NES MS68 DMPL gradeing

Whats the info on NES Grading? I have read it is not very reliable!!

What do I do

Welcome to the forum.

You should treat the coin as if were uncertified and completely ignore the assigned grade.

My guess, based on experience with such "companies" and grades, is that you bought the coin at what you felt/hoped was a bargain price, but that you overpaid for it, possibly significantly.

Can you post a link to the listing? Do you have a return privilege that you can exercise?

Hey thanks Mark

I did not purchase the coin it was given to me as part of will. It is in a plastic case and has a NES bar code and number.

You're most welcome and I am very glad that at least you did not buy it. If you can post a good image, we might be able to give you a guesstimate of grade and value.

NES is considered a basement grading service and routinely over grades everything by as much as 4 points numerically.

PCGS and NGC are the top two, with ANACS and ICG bringing up 3rd and 4th, most reliable.

Anything else is poor guess work with no standards, IMHO.

ms68dmpl? wowzah.........however since they are not known, they may overgrade and your coin may not even be close to dmpl or ms64 for that matter. Stick with the big 3, NGC, PCGS, and ANACs

NES is considered a basement grading service and routinely over grades everything by as much as 4 points numerically.

PCGS and NGC are the top two, with ANACS and ICG bringing up 3rd and 4th, most reliable.

Anything else is poor guess work with no standards, IMHO.

Based on the images I have seen, in this case, they over-graded by considerably more than that. The coin looks like an AU58 to me, possibly an MS61 or 62, at best, and neither PL nor DPL.

NES mostly grades building sites and sometimes residential driveways. I don't know if they do paving too. As for numismatic coins --- nawww --- not a chance unless it's on a dozer.

When I saw that it was willed to him I was hoping it was a photocertificate. There have been two different companies that have gone by that name. The slabber is a joke, but the photocertificate company is extremely rare and desirable