• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleaned coins

11 posts in this topic

I probably have a few of some other series.

The Heritage archives is one of the best places to look.

Agreed. Most of us aren't set up with a good digital imaging system, what I have seen is it takes quite a while for people to be good at it. Thanks to NGC and PMG for their $5 imaging which is very collector friendly. Get the coin imaged before it gets shipped back to you folks so you don't have to get that done later.

Something I have had to learn the hard way is that judging problem coins involves seeing not just what is a clear problem but what should be there, ie luster and surface quality in general. What some show dealers rely on with gullible customers is the inability to properly grade the coin or identify issues that may preclude a numerical grade. When in doubt pass on raw coins. Otherwise you are likely to get a no grade when the coin is submitted for grading.

Or take coins you know are original take good pics, clean them and take more pics.

(joking!!!)

I've already started, cracked a few, used steel wool, my golf club brush for my irons, and tarn x. I can see a difference now.Thanks

Or take coins you know are original take good pics, clean them and take more pics.

(joking!!!)

I've already started, cracked a few, used steel wool, my golf club brush for my irons, and tarn x. I can see a difference now.Thanks

This reminds me of a recent converstaion with my faher-in-law after he showed me some of his foreign coins collected during his travels in the late sixties:

Me: Yeah, these aren't worth a heck of a lot, mostly just fun curiosity pieces, they usually get sold 5/$1

FIL: But they aren't made anymore! Look this one is from 1967 and has the queen on it!

Me: Yeah, they can be pretty interesting. Lots of people collect them, they just don't have a lot of value.

FIL: If I clean them up with tarnx will they be worth more?

I like the other suggestions, especially browsing HA. They've sold a lot of cleaned coins, and it can be interesting to see how the degree of cleaning within the same series/date impacts the final hammer price.

If I clean them up with tarnx will they be worth more?

lol! How about a wire wheel on a grinder.... that will make them REALLY pretty....

I'm headed to the basement(workshop) now

When I bought this 1853 Arrows and Rays half dollar almost 30 years ago, I thought that it was okay. As it turned out the piece had been whizzed then had toned over. When the coin was held a certain angles it did show hairlines going in one direction, but the angle was very specific. I suppose in this picture you can look at the surfaces to the left of stars 1, 2, and 3 and compare that the surfaces in the right of them.

185350cO.jpg185350cR.jpg

This piece has been dipped, but it has not been cleaned. I know that dipped is a huge issue for some collectors, but for me it's okay if the price is right. You will note the luster in the fields. NGC graded this piece MS-64, and aside from the dipping that's the right range for it.

1853HalfDollarO-2.jpg1853HalfDollarR-2.jpg