• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The coolest coin I've found all year ......

29 posts in this topic

I found this coin within the first ten minutes of this years ANA show which is a very good thing but it made the rest of the week a bit anti climatic. This coin has the added bonus of being ex Eliasberg which was not noted on the holder and not mentioned by the seller who was surprised when I mentioned it to him. :)

1836-le-half-copy.jpg

I admit, when I saw the thread title and the author, I was expecting something kind of special, as opposed to a pedestrian type of coin. :(

And, of course, I wasn't disappointed. :devil:

;)

en·vy   [en-vee] Show IPA noun, plural en·vies, verb, en·vied, en·vy·ing.

noun

1. The feeling one experiences when viewing a Boiler78 coin! ;)

(thumbs u

OP

I'd like to point out that I, yes, the one and only EVP, started the roast-themed responses. I am very proud. :D
Lost. I have to start paying better attention.

Lance.

I have just been reminded that I bought this coin at the FUN show this past January so technically it qualifies as the coolest coin for me this year :blush: ..... but just barely.

1796-b2-copy.jpg

I found this coin within the first ten minutes of this years ANA show which is a very good thing but it made the rest of the week a bit anti climatic. This coin has the added bonus of being ex Eliasberg which was not noted on the holder and not mentioned by the seller who was surprised when I mentioned it to him. :)

1836-le-half-copy.jpg

That you knew it was Eliasberg's is what impresses me the most.

1836-le-half-copy.jpg

....excuse the newbie question, but how do you recognize something like that....and what exactly is an "Eliasberg" ? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

1836-le-half-copy.jpg

....excuse the newbie question, but how do you recognize something like that....and what exactly is an "Eliasberg" ? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Years and years of experience looking at coins in auction catalogues, research books, examining coins in person, and the like. For instance...the Eliasberg 1795 $10 13 Leaves has a superb identifying curly scratch to the left of Liberty's lower curls, in the field. If you remember that, you'll always be able to identify that it was Eliasberg's example, even if the coin is not slabbed.

What is an Eliasberg...?

Here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_E._Eliasberg

Boiler,

I'm sorry I missed meeting you while at the Philadelphia

ANA Show this past August. A friend mentioned you were

chatting with Bill S. at his table and I was elsewhere.

Just have to congratulate you on yet another wonderful

addition to what has to be just about the finest collection

being assembled today. A Proof ( Eliasberg ) 1836 LE Half

- would be a joy to behold. Beautiful images ( Todd's ? )

Be well and enjoy your Newp & thanks for sharing !!

Mike

I have just been reminded that I bought this coin at the FUN show this past January so technically it qualifies as the coolest coin for me this year :blush: ..... but just barely.

1796-b2-copy.jpg

Ok, now you have my undivided attention...

This is a coin of my dreams... I had to buy

the 1796 Dollar to get as close to this exact

design as I could... certainly couldn't afford

to pick up a nice XF / AU Half of that date !

Wonderful coins, sir, just wonderful.

(thumbs u