• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Counterfeit NGC holders?

7 posts in this topic

After reading this article:

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=954

and noting:

"Dashes or hyphens on the counterfeit label are straight and square. Dashes on the authentic NGC holder have angled ends"

I am wondering if I should be concerned over these 2 coins recently picked up. Here are the labels:

label2.jpg

anonymous picture upload

label1.jpg

upload pictures

These are not particularly high-priced coins, so does the comment regarding the dashes perhaps not apply to holders of these generations?

I can't say for sure but I do suspect your slabs are of an earlier generation before the counterfeits appeared. As the fakes have evolved they have not seemed to go back into the earlier generations, and I'm not sure for the done the later generations of NGC either. With PCGS on the other hand I have seen two or three varieties faked.

I can't say for sure but I do suspect your slabs are of an earlier generation before the counterfeits appeared. As the fakes have evolved they have not seemed to go back into the earlier generations, and I'm not sure for the done the later generations of NGC either. With PCGS on the other hand I have seen two or three varieties faked.

OK, that's what I had suspected but the article caused some concern. The NGC article perhaps should have mentioned the applicability of the dash with respect to using it as a diagnostic.

Thank You.

Good to know for reference! And MKman is right. PCGS holders are more counterfeited more.

I had someone tell me a Morgan Dollar in an NGC slab I have is a fake because it didn't stack with the other NGC holders. didn't NGC have a "fat" holder at some point? The insert foam was also weird compared to some new slabs I compared it to. I put an LED flashlight on one side and the light shined through more on the said "fake" holder than it did on the edgeview holders.

I am not sure though.

Good post JimBucks. Now I know one more way to distinguish good and bad NGC slabs!

-Dave