• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Teletrade auction win.....

15 posts in this topic

I was tracking this and went out on business and forgot to bid on it. I think someone got a super steal. Make sure you take a look at the closeups and tell me what you might think of the coin. It's not in a super old holder, but still not too recent either.

http://www.teletrade.com/coins/lot.asp?auction=3346&lot=1438

I don't see it as a steal at all. Proof Mercury Dimes aren't selling for a lot of money right now. The one referenced looks to have haze on the obverse, and I expect that it has less contrast than is seen in the images.

What made you think it sold cheaply?

According to the website, the average price is 300 for that grade. It sold for 180, however the NGC value is only 256, so they are selling above. ?? But seing so many things that sell for 50-70% of the price guides, I don't understand how the values are arrived at. There were quite a few in a higher population, and with the cloudiness in front of the face, I wondered about that myself. I would say it sold about where I would expect it to. But as I've said before, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

According to the website, the average price is 300 for that grade. It sold for 180, however the NGC value is only 256, so they are selling above. ?? But seing so many things that sell for 50-70% of the price guides, I don't understand how the values are arrived at. There were quite a few in a higher population, and with the cloudiness in front of the face, I wondered about that myself. I would say it sold about where I would expect it to. But as I've said before, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

Regardless of what Teletrade or any price guides say, even PR66's of that date have been selling in the low to mid $200 range. I recently bought an attractively toned PR66 for less than $200. So $180 (plus whatever the applicable buyer's premium, if any) for a PR65 doesn't sound like either a steal or a deal.

I wasn't talking about the grade, look closer, the thing looks near, or at CAMEO. Now that would be a serious steal!!!!! I saw one a couple years ago graded Cam and it was near 2k at the time.

I wasn't talking about the grade, look closer, the thing looks near, or at CAMEO. Now that would be a serious steal!!!!! I saw one a couple years ago graded Cam and it was near 2k at the time.

For whatever reason, I see many Proof Indian Cents, Mercury Dimes and Walkers, which look more cameo in their images than in-hand. My bet is that the coin does not display nearly that much contrast in person. And even considering that, the obverse doesn't look anywhere close to cameo. Lastly, 1939's seem to offer more partly frosted examples than the other dates in the series.

Of the graded examples I have seen, the obverse is always weaker than the reverse. There are a lot of reverses out there that seem full cam with no cam on the obverse. But I appreciate your observations as I know that you see many more examples than I do.

Of the graded examples I have seen, the obverse is always weaker than the reverse. There are a lot of reverses out there that seem full cam with no cam on the obverse. But I appreciate your observations as I know that you see many more examples than I do.

It sounds as if we are in general agreement about what's out there. Our only major difference seems to be regarding how how unusual/special (or not) this one is ;)

Heck, we aren't in disagreement, or at least I wouldn't say, I just wanted others thoughts and hoping I would drag the person who won it out so we could hear from them! :)