• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Teletrade annoyance

43 posts in this topic

Man, why don't you guys get a life? I thought his post was fine. I think you're obsessed. Throwing Teletrade under the bus? Huh? Don't you think that's a tad extreme? Really, if you're that wound up, get out there in the fresh air, do yourself some good.

Man, why don't you guys get a life? I thought his post was fine. I think you're obsessed. Throwing Teletrade under the bus? Huh? Don't you think that's a tad extreme? Really, if you're that wound up, get out there in the fresh air, do yourself some good.

I can see both sides of this. Yes his post had a valid point/arguement and I think some people here just think of every thread by Jimbucks as an "unreasonable rant."

I don't know how old (or young) Jimbucks is, but my grandfather who is in his early 90's, has had issues with alpha numeric phone numbers and automated phone service for over 10 years. He can't hear anything (he has had hearingaids since 1998) and when he calls the VA Hospital to talk to his doctor, he can't hear nor understand any of the automated prompts. Also, he has never had a mobile phone and if you told him that he needs to call (example: 1-800-NGC-COIN) He would sit there, and look at the phone until the phone started making that "off the hook" noise.

I don't like having to convert letters to numbers when I need to make a phone call, but I don't mind it. I do agree that it can be frustrating to some people, especially if you are "old fashioned." I am sure there are many people at the Elks lodge or VFW Posts that will agree with Jim. :grin:

Not to hijack the thread but.. Can someone explain why some companies include a phone number for hearing impared people to dial? If you are THAT hard of hearing..... ??? How do you... what do you...AH :facepalm: whats the point of using the phone?! :makepoint:

-Dave

Dave,

Sites that have a separate number for the hearing impaired use that number for a special connection where the phone has a teletype display - sort of like a modem of old.

EVP

Oh. I had no idea. I've never dialed one and when I hear "hearing impared phone line," I think of it an oxymoron.

My dad has always had a pager because of his work and I think the last time he used it was 4 years ago.. He got a Droid a few years ago..You want to know why they make cell phone manuals 300 pages? well.. give a 60 year old guy who has never used any phone newer than an Analog service Nokia phone during the 1990's a 3G Data smart phone and tell him to "wing it."......

My point, I am sure there are many others and Jimbucks is right (even though he does rant alot.) I am sure he has his reasons. :eek:

-Dave

You know what, I have zero problems with jimbucks rants, You know where he stands on things. Its kind of like in todays society, we keep losing things and nobody says anything, eventually its going to get to the point where you won't recognize anything and guys like jimbucks are going to just shake their head. In WWII the 3rd reich went after things little by little until the only thing left standing in 1941 was blond haired blue eyed aryans. Got news for you, that doesn't describe me. I'm listening jimbucks

The letter system of phone numbers has been around almost as long as phones themselves. Since the 1920s, phones have displayed 24 of the 26 letters along with the numbers -- 3 letters per number for numbers 2 through 9, and Q and Z were traditionally left off. Most phone "numbers" until the 1960s were given in a combination of 2 or 3 letters, and the rest of the number in digits. In the 1960s most phone numbers were given strictly in digits only.

The point being, I don't know why this is so confusing.

130082.jpg.3d2924796c5cc53b7e9d2d02bcebd6f4.jpg

I can see both sides of this. Yes his post had a valid point/arguement and I think some people here just think of every thread by Jimbucks as an "unreasonable rant."

I don't know how old (or young) Jimbucks is, but my grandfather who is in his early 90's, has had issues with alpha numeric phone numbers and automated phone service for over 10 years. He can't hear anything (he has had hearingaids since 1998) and when he calls the VA Hospital to talk to his doctor, he can't hear nor understand any of the automated prompts. Also, he has never had a mobile phone and if you told him that he needs to call (example: 1-800-NGC-COIN) He would sit there, and look at the phone until the phone started making that "off the hook" noise.

I don't like having to convert letters to numbers when I need to make a phone call, but I don't mind it. I do agree that it can be frustrating to some people, especially if you are "old fashioned." I am sure there are many people at the Elks lodge or VFW Posts that will agree with Jim. :grin:

Not to hijack the thread but.. Can someone explain why some companies include a phone number for hearing impared people to dial? If you are THAT hard of hearing..... ??? How do you... what do you...AH :facepalm: whats the point of using the phone?! :makepoint:

-Dave

I hear ya, bud. And, listen, take care of grandpa. My uncle is 95, now, and still goin' on. :)

NGC does a service with its 1800-NGC-coin number, easiest number to remember. On TT, good luck getting through to someone who is truly skilled in customer service as with the grading services, and I do not envy them their jobs. There are those in this hobby/business who are sort of nerds, just enjoy history and numismatics. There are others who are employed in various coin businesses who have no love of numismatics or history; too bad.

If I may,

What is a "ghetto smart phone"?

I don't get out much.

Thank You in advance.

Ironic that the most cryptic person on the forum can't decipher the meaning of one word. Let me help you out.

Definition of ghetto

Thank You.

I did not know I am cryptic (I looked it up).I will work on that.

Unfortunately, the link you kindly offered confuses me more, as there are several meanings.

I do appreciate you thoughtfulness, though.

If I may,

I don't get out much.

Thank You in advance.

Ironic that the most cryptic person on the forum can't decipher the meaning of one word. Let me help you out.

Definition of ghetto

Thank You.

Unfortunately, the link you kindly offered confuses me more, as there are several meanings.

not only were (are) there several some appear to be contradictory

If I may,

I don't get out much.

Thank You in advance.

Definition of ghetto

Thank You.

not only were (are) there several some appear to be contradictory

Ghetto as defined by society: Pants hanging off their butt. Talks using "Slang" or non-standard english terminology. Wears their hat crooked with a flat brim. Walks like they have a a beer bottle up their Butt. Uses derogatory terms in every sentence. Drives while blasting "hip-hop" so the entire town can hear them comming.

Also Ghetto means someone who does not act or behave in a manner that is acceptable or appropriate. UrbanDictionary.com has some GREAT :grin: definitions of many words.

-Dave