• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What coins do you think are bargains?

26 posts in this topic

Here's what I've been accumulating:

1) PF 66/67 Mercury Dimes

2) PF 64 RB IHC

3) MS-62 $5 Indians -- but these have popped a bit in the last week.

You do you think are "bargains" in today's market?

What about cameo franklins? Many are very cheap and they are very cool!

How about no motto $10 libs? I see them very close to melt on some, I mean for something that old and close to melt or slightly above melt, thats neat!

Superb coins.

Can't argue with that

MJ

Something can only be a bargain based upon its price and by this I am not expressing an opinion on any of the other posts here. By my standards, the coins I collect used to be bargains but many of them no longer are anymore. They are relative bargains given their numismatic merits compared to practically all US coins but not compared to what they cost before because many of them are more expensive compared to other coins..

first the coins mentioned would need to be choice for their grades, great eye appeal combined with originality

for some coins this would be really rare as many original coins are ugly and many beautiful coins are no way original

and some coins might be original and eye appealling but overgraded

okie here goes

bargain extreme value opportunity coins that are just not appreciated for their rarity and historical value because of many reasons which some might be too small, esoteric, takes knowledge and study to understand the coins, price!! etc

but these coins transend all the above and are sleeping giants waiting to be awakened

-------1794 halfdimes

----------colonial copper french sou with no counterstamps au and above

------------perfectly centered xf and above totally original small planchet pine tree shillings

---------------very choice au better date three dollar gold

-------------proof 10 dollar liberties

---------------original set tissue toned proof morgan dollars usually gem to superb gem as they were untouched so they have little to no hairlines for a downgrade below gem

-----------------original unbrushed, non oiled average+ color and surfaces wreath cents liberty cap cents

---------------- choice to gem quarter eagles 1870's

gem to superb gem proof merc dimes

55 ddo lincoln cents ms 63 to ms65 but non brown/darkbrown/dark coins with vibrant cartwheel lustre and no spots or stains and most importantly no blue/blueish/purple toning!!!

ms 64 and ms65 original skinned common date type 3 twenties

1876 gold dollars ms63 and above as david akers (may he rest in peace) and doug winter both say that this date is the rarest post 1875 gold dollar and also the most undervalued underrated type 3 gold dollar again post 1875

i guess the list could go on and on but this is a start

55 ddo lincoln cents ms 63 to ms65 but non brown/darkbrown/dark coins with vibrant cartwheel lustre and no spots or stains and most importantly no blue/blueish/purple toning!!!t

I'm with you on this one. May have to look for one myself.

Superb coins.

Can't argue with that

MJ

Something can only be a bargain based upon its price and by this I am not expressing an opinion on any of the other posts here. By my standards, the coins I collect used to be bargains but many of them no longer are anymore. They are relative bargains given their numismatic merits compared to practically all US coins but not compared to what they cost before because many of them are more expensive compared to other coins..

This is a good point and it is what I kept in mind with my response. That is, all coins listed in all posts had to be obtained for "market value" of typical pieces.

Classic Commemoratives are almost the same prices as they were fifteen years ago.

I like these and have started my own collection - ONLY ONE of each though

Got rid of Most of my moderns to do so ... except gold :)

55 ddo lincoln cents ms 63 to ms65 but non brown/darkbrown/dark coins with vibrant cartwheel lustre and no spots or stains and most importantly no blue/blueish/purple toning!!!t

I'm with you on this one. May have to look for one myself.

Then you should contact Mark Feld about this 64RB that is transfixing!

Feld's 55 DDO

totally agree on the obverse photo the coin is killer and vibrant colorwise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the reverse is also nice!!!............. but not as vibrant colorwise as the obverse also the technical grade is at least to me just from the photos is a PQ 64

PLEASE ONE CAVIET I HAVE NOT SEEN THIS COIN

IN HAND SIGHT SEEN

SO I AM ONLY GOING BY THE PHOTO SIGHT SEEN COULD BE DIFFERENT

ALSO as an interesting sidenote ((which i am sure most all already know)) do you see how lincolns beard and overall hair details are always extremely mushy to non existant even on choice to gem unc coins??

well this is because of the doubling of the dies

the far outer lettering of LIBERTY and date are crisp and strongly doubled but getting close to the middle area of the coin ---- this created a situation where the details (lincolns beard and many parts of the hair) in the middle of the coin created a mushy overlay

so in the double die process creating this error in the die the details in middle of the coin (hair and beard) turned to mush whereas nearer the edge the date and liberty was strongly and crisply doubled

i dont know the exact terminology as i cant remember it but maybe?/ someone on here who can find out can enlighten us hm

thanks

oh and just to clarify from my post where i said

55 ddo lincoln cents ms 63 to ms65 but non brown/darkbrown/dark coins with vibrant cartwheel lustre and no spots or stains and most importantly no blue/blueish/purple toning!!!

the coin can be a brown coin lets say for example pcgs/ngc ms 63BN on the holder but it needs to have really vibrant lustre with a good amount of red peeking through :cloud9:

not the typical really dark brown lifeless coin you usually see in au58 to ms63BN holders

also no spots or stains and with even toning

also most important---------- NO PURPLE OR BLUEISH COLORATION

now find something like this in for example a 63BN HOLDER and you got a really scarce+++ 55 DDO

and believe me try to go find something like this with all the above parameters

good luck! they are out there but are few and far between what does this all add up to EYE APPEAL

and i dont care whose holder it is in or if it has any stickers on it a 55 DDO with a blueish/purpleish coloration even if good looking is not a good thing and aint in no way shapre or form.................... an original coin

MARKET ACCEPTABLE maybe..................... but not to me

let others own these coins and yes they aint bad coins but they aint the BEST either

as you are only interested in the BEST!!

they are out there but you really gots to look and at least for me i think the hunt is in most all instances just as important as the coin as long as you get THE BEST!