• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark Side Holder

14 posts in this topic

It's an old "rattler" PCGS holder. The label is yellow because it faded over time. I've seen holder labels fade like this because they sat for 5+ years in a dealers case under fluorescent lighting. That's my best guess. I believe these holders are from the late 1980's or early 1990's.

Regarding the certification number, many older PCGS holders had 7 digit certification numbers.

I'll remember that, I don't even look at the foreign stuff, having been to a "few" other countries fighting terrorists, I have no interest in anything foreign, or ever leaving the greatest country this planet has ever seen again. It holds no interest to me

Well the others have covered the yellowing, I touch on the question of conservative grading.

Yes this was from the era of more conservative grading BUT even during that era not every coin would be conservatively graded. Grading is always a range or estimate. Now consider that these rattler slabs have been examined and picked over looking for the conservatively graded pieces that might have a chance of upgrading for over twenty years. By now almost every upgradable piece has been cracked and resubmitted. About the only thing remaining in these rattler holders are those coins which are accurately or over graded.

George, like Conder basically said, these are no slam dunks for upgrades. Click this link and see how PCGS is going to go about grading this coin if you re-submit it. Look under "market grading." Maybe, today, this coin is trading at better than MS65 in the marketplace, maybe it's not. But, that's where you're at on this one.

Ok, I appreciate the help, one more thing, what is the difference between market and technical grading

Yes, there is. Let me see if I can give you the kindergarten version of it. This should help, if you're that unfamiliar.

Technical grading is what we used to have. Market grading is what we have, today. Technical grading is just condition grading. Take any hobby. Stamps, comic books, pocket watches, basically any collectible antique. Condition is paramount. Collectors in those hobbies want to see a good condition specimen.

Market grading changed all that by taking the focus off condition and putting it on "eye appeal." Look at that site I gave you in that link. That link was to the "M" section. Go to the "T" section. Notice there's no definition of "technical grading," therein. Then, notice, PCGS is a professional grader, then, ask yourself, why don't they even have "technical grading" in their vocabulary? The reason for that is, they're trying to phase out technical grading. There's no other reasonable explanation for it.

Market grading came in, ostensibly, as a means of synchronizing the technical or condition grades of coins with the price guides. It also came in to pave the road to riches for the TPGs (IMHO, anyway).

There's a lot, lot more to the story. That's, let's call it, a piece of it. I have business I need to get back to. The best thing you can do to get a grasp of the details is, just hang in there, be patient, and watch us knock heads with one another. Sooner or later, you'll begin to get the idea.

Hey, good luck. ;)

I'll remember that, I don't even look at the foreign stuff, having been to a "few" other countries fighting terrorists, I have no interest in anything foreign, or ever leaving the greatest country this planet has ever seen again. It holds no interest to me

That's for a good laugh this morning.

That's for a good laugh this morning.

Glad I could help

Yes, all other counties and anything associated with them are bad.

A little simplistic don't you think?

But to each his own. That's what makes America great.

Wow, where did I say anything was bad? I simply said I had NO interest in anything foreign. Based on my experiences overseas, there is nothing that holds a candle to the american spirit and way of life. I prefer excellance over anything else. What is wrong with that. Tell me why we have immigration problems? Everybody wants to come HERE, I don't see it happening anyplace else. It must be great if nobody wants to leave America and go live someplace else................except maybe Alec Baldwin. And he and his ilk are just bags of hot air.