• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting Medal! What is it?

6 posts in this topic

I recently stumbled upon this silver, 1776-1876, Centennial medal, measuring 18mm. It is very similar in design to some of the Independence Hall / Liberty Bell halves in the So-Called Dollars series; in fact it bares the same designer's initials (KEY F) under Independence Hall. These are smaller than the halves, of course, and all of those I have now seen online seem to be holed for suspension.

What is the story behind these? Could they have been an everyman's version of the higher denominations struck for collectors?

1876omedal.jpg

1876rmedal.jpg

I wish I could help, but I don't know anything about it. All I can say is that a lot of crude copies of SCD's (or at the least very similar) have been around for years. This appears to be one of those. Maybe that is why no one can tell you anything.

Chris

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The dies are similar to several illustrated in Russell Rulau's book on American tokens. These were souvenir items sold during the 1876 centennial exposition in Philadelphia. The arrangement of lettering is different on your piece, but the central devices are identical and were almost certainly hubbed into various dies to make up each variety. My edition of Rulau is not the latest, and perhaps he has added your variety since then.

The letters KEYF below Independence Hall are almost certainly for Key Fecit (made it), indicating that the engraver was likley William Key of the U. S. Mint. He and his associates were permitted to do contract work on their own time.