• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1948-D PCGS / CAC MS65FBL DDR FS-801 50C ~ VERY CHOICE ORIGINAL!

8 posts in this topic

I'm not being a , and this question is totally serious. Why is this graded a 65, and how can a coin that looks like it's been scraped along the bottom of a river be considered a desirable asset in a coin?

I'm not being a , and this question is totally serious. Why is this graded a 65, and how can a coin that looks like it's been scraped along the bottom of a river be considered a desirable asset in a coin?

Unattractive toning should not be cause to ignore the technical qualities of any given coin. In my limited experience toning can add/subtract a point from the overall grade but in my opinion the toning on this coin would not have any impact on the grade. Oh, and in my eyes the toning on this coin is quite appealing indeed.

This toning may not be desirable to you but the fact that it has the CAC sticker tells me that it is a FBL which PCGS does slide on most of the time and therefore a well strike for this date.

Oh, and in my eyes the toning on this coin is quite appealing indeed.

Thanks! This type of color is not for everyone, but there is a following for coins of this era that look like they are freshly plucket from collections and have never been messed with.