• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sold - 1750 Chile 8 Escudos Gold Coin NGC Graded MS 62

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I discovered this board looking for a place to advertise a coin that I have for sell. I inherited a gold coin from my Grandma, and am currently auctioning it on ebay.

The coin is as stated in the Subject line: 1750 Chile 8 Escudos Gold Coin Graded MS 62 by the NGC. The fineness is 0.917, and the actual weight is 0.798 oz. Some other details as well as pictures are listed on ebay.

I took the coin to a dealer and was told the weight of the gold alone was worth around $1500. It's quite a beautiful coin with a history older than the US has been a country, and I have no desire to sell it to be melted down. I would prefer that a serious collector buy it for display purposes or as a nice shop piece.

I have started the auction price at $1999, which I believe is fair considering a wide variety of factors. I'm aware that my Grandma paid about 2 and a half times that price for the coin, but of course collectibles vary in price depending on the day of the week. The only other similar coin listed currently has an asking price of $7000, although it was shipwreck salvaged and a slightly higher quality.

The listing is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chile-8-Escudos-1750-MS-62-Gold-Coin-in-Collector-Case-Professionally-Graded-/160879270392?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item257526d9f8

(If the link didn't work, you can find the coin searching 1750 escudo)

My uncle is selling this coin for me as he is a regular ebayer with a high rating level. Thanks!

Source

Ponterio & Associates

Auction June 2011 Baltimore Auction (17.06.2011)

Lot 6831 ( « | » )

Price 4750 USD SOLD FOR and it is only ms61 ngc

WORLD GOLD COINS

CHILE

CHILE. 8 Escudos, 1750-J.

Fr-5; KM-3.NGC MS-61.

I WOULD DIRECTLY CONTACT PONTERIO AND SELL IT TO THEM for way more than 2k

The fact is by selling through ebay you'll still be paying in the neighborhood of 15% with listing fees, final value fees, paypal fees and shipping. Auction house gets 15% or sometimes a bit more but they do all the work.