• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A lesson on stars posted by Six Mile Rick

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

My latest submission

Friends, On my latest submission I sent in a dime I just knew would garner a star but somehow missed the shot. I did a little research on the whole star attribute and learned a little this weekend on submitting toned coins. A coin can be wonderfully toned "BUT" if it has a small dark brown area turning or going black it will not receive the star.

I am still pleased with the MS67 grade on a 1949 coin that I got for almost nothing. I thought to pass on the toning tips and show the pic in it's new clear view slab.

ENJOY

12051.jpg

See more journals by Six Mile Rick

By the way-------The star designation is also good for a perfect non-toned coin or all white and "MAYBE" they were saving up stars for a couple of the 35 dimes I have getting graded this week... :)

Beautiful dime and good info....Maybe a star next time...Check out my latest journal I posted a pick of a coin with lots of nice toning (kind of hard to see in the pic) but am looking forward to some feedback from the gurus.....

Stars are tough to get. I've never personally received one in grading and didn't know your tidbit. I also have heard/read that the star designation requires complete consensus of all the graders, which is another reason they are quite elusive.

That is a really nice looking coin. I don't see any terminal state toning on that coin. What does the reverse look like? Do you have any pics? In my experience, mottled toning is often the reason that attractive Rosies miss the star designation.