• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1845 Quarter

14 posts in this topic

Hello from the comic book side of the world. I came across a few coins, this is probably the best of the bunch. Still working on my macro photography skills, the actual appearance is like the photo of the obverse. Opinions?

1845_quarter_1.jpg

1845_quarter_2_3.jpg

First you need to take you photos "dead on" so that you don't get round coins that look like ovals. I don't mean to be mean, but that is necessary get an idea of how the coin looks in your hand. The way to get the relief of the coin is to angle the light, not the camera.

Having said that I think that this coin is a high grade piece. It does not appear to have been cleaned or polished. Whether or not it is Mint State remains to be seen. It does have a lot of detail, but the off angle shot makes it hard to nail down any sort of a rub.

Also the yellow colored reverse leaves me wondering if you have a white balance problem with your photo or a yellow reverse. Usually a yellow color on a silver coin like this is from a less than fully neutralized dip in a diluted acid solution to remove tarnish. Years ago "yellow toning" was a positive, but now I think that it is admired less.

It looks like you have a nice coin, but nailing that down is tough from these photos. As the coin people know I am a brutal, honest SOB. ;) That's why I gave you this advice.

Bill, I was looking at my handy dandy ANA guidelines, I'm really clueless, what is considered high grade for this, as I said, i'm clueless, but the eagle being outlined from the ANA pics makes me think EF? I don't see much wrong on the obverse but as you said, hard to tell from angle. Is the flag top a high spot? Thanks, George

The coin looks to be almost uncirculated at a minimum, and possibly uncirculated. Be sure not to clean it or touch the surfaces with your hands/fingers.

This is about the best I can do at the moment:

1845_quarter_1_2.jpg

1845_quarter_2_4.jpg

I agree that it's high grade, but I don't like the look of the coin, it looks to have been cleaned and possibly dipped with dip residue left behind for that ugly brownish toning. Lot's of hit visible in the fields. The coin is still desirable and I would recommend handling the coin the way Mark mentioned above. Of course, Bill and Mark are much more accomplished numismatists than I am so I would tend to listen to them more than me.