• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PL 1996-D Washington quarter?

42 posts in this topic

I wanted to give him a specific advice, and I wanted him to show me the auction. Sometimes, people are hesitant to share an auction openly before they purchase the coin, in case someone else may see it and snipe it from them. Also, sometimes people are hesitant to share how much they paid for something. Obviously, with a slight amount of research it is usually easy to find, but I respect his right to privacy in the matter. He will share whatever data he wants to when he is ready to.

I believe I have one of the 1947-S proof like quarters mentioned. It was given a * for being proof like. Correct me if I'm wrong, but at some point NGC replaced the * with a PL designator when a coin was proof like.

I believe I have one of the 1947-S proof like quarters mentioned. It was given a * for being proof like. Correct me if I'm wrong, but at some point NGC replaced the * with a PL designator when a coin was proof like.

not necessarily, if your coin has a star it is not counted in the census as a PL, at some point int he past they may not have certified some pieces as PL and instead used the star, i actually do not know if this is true or not. But the 7 that are counted in the census for the 46-s will have a PL designation, your star coin may get a PL if resubmitted. If it was graded recently then the star would indicate close to being PL. I have a walking liberty piece that got a star for being close, although i still think it deserves a PL :(

any idea what the value would be on a NGC certified 1946-s MS64 PL???? found one on ebay, it fits in with my odd PL coin set i started. i figure maybe you guys will know a little more

PM sent.

What's it, a secret?

yeah man, top secret!!!

j/k, i got it on ebay, i already bought it before i posted, here is ebay link if you want to see:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360492913375?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 i think it is a good deal considering for the date their are only 3 known

not necessarily, if your coin has a star it is not counted in the census as a PL, at some point int he past they may not have certified some pieces as PL and instead used the star, i actually do not know if this is true or not. But the 7 that are counted in the census for the 46-s will have a PL designation, your star coin may get a PL if resubmitted. If it was graded recently then the star would indicate close to being PL. I have a walking liberty piece that got a star for being close, although i still think it deserves a PL :(

OK, thanks for the info. I wouldn't consider it PL, and since it doesn't have any color, I assumed that NGC thought it was PL. It does have some seriously heavy die polish lines in it.

1946sobv396x400.jpg

1946srev394x400.jpg

OK, thanks for the info. I wouldn't consider it PL, and since it doesn't have any color, I assumed that NGC thought it was PL. It does have some seriously heavy die polish lines in it.

1946sobv396x400.jpg

1946srev394x400.jpg

the obverse looks like a PL to me, the reverse is not as strong and probably why it got a star as opposed to PL, just a guess though

Gunny, the Star is sometimes given to coins that exhibit certain qualities, but are not quite strong enough to earn the higher designation. So, if the obverse is PL but the reverse is not - the coin will earn a Star. Or, if there is a really nice cameo on one side of a proof coin but the reverse is brilliant, it will earn a Star. The Star is not just for exceptional eye appeal.

Gunny, the Star is sometimes given to coins that exhibit certain qualities, but are not quite strong enough to earn the higher designation. So, if the obverse is PL but the reverse is not - the coin will earn a Star. Or, if there is a really nice cameo on one side of a proof coin but the reverse is brilliant, it will earn a Star. The Star is not just for exceptional eye appeal.

OK. That makes sense. The reverse on the above coin is definitely not PL.

any idea what the value would be on a NGC certified 1946-s MS64 PL???? found one on ebay, it fits in with my odd PL coin set i started. i figure maybe you guys will know a little more

PM sent.

What's it, a secret?

yeah man, top secret!!!

j/k, i got it on ebay, i already bought it before i posted, here is ebay link if you want to see:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360492913375?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 i think it is a good deal considering for the date their are only 3 known

Ya did good, champ. No J/K.

The Prooflike designation is given to coins that are fully prooflike on both sides. The STAR designation is given when a coin is either prooflike only on the obverse, or when both sides are very nearly PL, but not reflective enough to be called PL.

NGC is VERY strict on the PL designation these days, and many coins are given only a STAR when they could have been called PL on a good day.