• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Cool New Indian Cent Error!

11 posts in this topic

Just got this new little off center saddle struck 1895 Indian Cent - it's very cool in that it the date is printed twice. It's very unique - and I'm thrilled to add it to my collection!

My Dino Lite photos aren't quite as nice as Todd's, but you get the idea!

1895DSOCXF-AUobv.jpg

1895DSOCXF-AUrev.jpg

It is double struck with both strikes off-center, but it is not a saddle strike.

True saddle strikes could not occur until they started using dual die presses. A true saddle strike overlaps both die pars and receives both impressions with a single strike. The coin is typically bent slightly (into a saddle shaped) from being forced down on both sides across the collar between the two coining chambers, and the dies are normally oriented rotated 180 degrees with respect to each other. (Since the locking flat is normally ground into the same place on each die in order to put two dies into the press so the flats lock together to prevent rotation one die has to be rotated 180 degrees compared to the other.)

Still a very nice coin.

What a super cool coin. It looks to me like it's cleaned so I don't think it will slab in a non-problem holder, but I still think it's an incredible example!

The wear means it obviously circulated for a while despite being such an oddity, which probably indicates a fairly low level of numismatic consciousness in 1895 and 1896. People were evidently content to get its one cent's worth of buying power instead of putting it aside as a collector's item of potential value. I can imagine somebody even worrying about being able to sneak it through as an acceptable penny, worrying that retailers might notice it as misstruck, reject it as legal tender, and they'd be stuck, forced to suffer the corresponding financial loss.

It is double struck with both strikes off-center, but it is not a saddle strike.

True saddle strikes could not occur until they started using dual die presses. A true saddle strike overlaps both die pars and receives both impressions with a single strike. The coin is typically bent slightly (into a saddle shaped) from being forced down on both sides across the collar between the two coining chambers, and the dies are normally oriented rotated 180 degrees with respect to each other. (Since the locking flat is normally ground into the same place on each die in order to put two dies into the press so the flats lock together to prevent rotation one die has to be rotated 180 degrees compared to the other.)

Still a very nice coin.

It's a double-strike. And it's not a bad one, at that. (thumbs u

Thanks everyone. Yes, I agree it's not technically a saddle struck error, it just "looks" a little like a saddle, so my bad on the use of that term.

And no it was not cleaned - it is original chocolate brown. My camera makes the color look a bit washed out and shinier than it is. I do plan to get it slabbed.