• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My New, Worthless Endeavor

9 posts in this topic

I decided to go through a ton of lincolns in rollers and a jar, looking for doubles etc, basically cherrypicking, then I got the idea to make a set collection of circulated lincolns and see how nice a set I could get from change, then I decided to make a set for all my kids and see if any of them would get the bug. Maybe show them there is more to life than Ipods, video games, and tv. Last count, I need 7 sets not including mine. My 3 girls, my 2 neices that live here because their mom died last year and we have guardianship, and my other neice and nephew from the same mom that are currently residing with their father, (until I can convince the court he is a POS) so thats 7. Any advice?

Advice? Give it up. That's an enormous task.

I started something like this about six years ago. I had a hoard of wheaties and decided to build an album.

Of course, there were many holes. And then fillers I couldn't live with. Spots, hits, bad color.

Today, it is done. And looking back, it was fun to build, but way too expensive.

Buy your kids and nieces Ipods. They'll remember you longer.

Lance.

c72bdee2.jpg

I just going for what I can get in change, if I get some wheats all the better, just a circulated pocket change set, just to get them started. You have a complete set? Thats fantastic, I'm impressed. What next?

Sadly, many teens and kids would rather have an Ipod as a gift instead of getting into a hobby. I find it very very funny that many 16 year olds spend more on Itunes a year that I spend on coins each year.

I like your idea for your Kin and If you still want to do something with coins for them (and you) here are a couple ideas. My grandfather did this when I was a kid and he is the main reason I really got into coins as an obsession and business.

-Buy them a PF70 American Silver Eagle on their birthdays. If one of them has a birthday this year, buy them a 2012 ASE and so on each year for as long as you want. Gift wrap it and then after they open it (and hopefully like it) keep it in a safe for them untill they turn 21, get married or what not. When they are adults, they will certainly appreciate it.

My grandfather just bought me the ASE's in the US Mint presentation boxes. I have had them since 1990 (my birthyear). When I moved to Florida after college the ASE's helped pay for some furniture. He also gave me silver and clad Proof sets and some prestige sets since 1995 and those paid for 3 months of my house rent.

Or:

- Buy some 2x2 holders. Put your pocket change in a jar and every month (save around $50.00 in mixed coins). Sit down with your 3 daughters, 3 nieces and nephew and have them pick out a bunch of coins that they like. Maybe the coin is shiny or has slight toning. Put the coins in 2x2's and put them in a ziplock bag for each of them.

Give it 2 years and see the collection they have!

Good luck in any case!

-Dave

Thanks for the support Coin, believe it or not, I started the ASE thing already, and bought birth year proof sets for all, and have the 2x2's ready for the coins, was going to give the penny set as a x-mas gift, time to work on 7 sets, finding the best coins is the hard part, not paying more than a penny is the key. I will probably bu from the wheat jars at a shop just to get started on the oldies. I know its a huge undertaking, but what else do I have to do with my spare time, listen to my Ipod or watch tv?

Hi Newpepper,

It is funny but I rekindled my passion for coin collecting in the very same manner~five years back.

Perhaps this belongs in another thread but my story is that I originally tried to get something started with my daughter at our then frequent trips to Disney World and Disney pins all the rage around the millennium. For a while she was enthused but then soon lost interest. So I stopped ~2002 (quick note-I still have the pin bags and may sell these pins as part of my retirement income to avoid eating dog food) -hah!

Newpepper like you in ~2007 I started back on my Lincoln collection looking through old rolls from the back. Amazingly back then 1/3 of the rolls were still Wheaties. I supplemented my purchases through the E*** site, Heritage, and Collectors Corner. In three years I not only had Wheaties but the Indains as well.

Now the collection is current from 1857 to the present mostly raw except the keys in VG-8 to 35certiifed by th two major tpg's. The only real key I am missing is the 1955 double die, (I don't want to spend moon money on it)!

Around four years ago I bought all the Nephews and my daughter NGC coin holders and the 2008 Silver Eagles NGC-MS 69 for Christmas. Each year since they all get the latest Silver Eagle in NGC MS-69 at Christmas time.

For their birthdays they get a different TPG service coin one year it's a Merc another it's a Walker etc. Next year's is a Standing Liberty Quarter in F-12 to 15. This seems to be working to ignite some passion for coin collecting for them. They like the various coins and it allows me to talk up a bit of the US history of the era. Something they seem to learn very little of in school these days.

My daughter also likes foreign coins so one year she got some El Cazador shipwreck coins. I used those coins at Christmas last year to tell a bit about the Louisiana purchase to the Nephews as well. My daughter doesn't know it yet but I have all the Silver Eagles from 86 to the present (either Philly or Westpoint) for her in MS-69. She too likes the coins, their value and now appreciates the hobby.

My collection is is now expansive and subject for another time.

Wow, now I thing I know what it must be like to attend a 12 step meeting!

I hope you find this information useful.

Tom