• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Can I Tell If Post-Colonial Coins Are Real or Replicas

5 posts in this topic

I've inherited some post-colonial coins from many generations and I was trying to look them up to see if they were real. I've seen so many different websites but I can't seem to find any answers except there is a lot of replicas. Is there any fine details that I can look for? Thanks in advance.

Best thing would be to post pictures of the coins. Forum members would be able to at least point out the most obvious replicas, if any, and as much as is possible from pictures, reasonably authenticate other coins.

And "post-colonial coins from many generations" doesn't really mean anything. It's way too general. You need to be more specific. Again, pictures would get you better and more helpful feedback.

BTW, I hope you've inherited a fortune.

If you post clear photos here there are people who can spot a fake fairly easily.

Photos should be well lit, in focus and about 800 pixels wide please.

Best thing would be to post pictures of the coins. Forum members would be able to at least point out the most obvious replicas, if any, and as much as is possible from pictures, reasonably authenticate other coins.

And "post-colonial coins from many generations" doesn't really mean anything. It's way too general. You need to be more specific. Again, pictures would get you better and more helpful feedback.

BTW, I hope you've inherited a fortune.

The period between seperation from Great Britain and the establishment of a Federal government is often hard to classify in numismatic terms. Scholars do not agree on what to call the coins minted in America in the Post-colonial, Pre-federal era between 1775 and 1792. I don't know if that is what he means or not, but Q David Bowers published a landmark attribution guide recently:

The Whitman Encyclopedia of Colonial and Early American Coins