• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A pair of Indian $5 **Grade Revealed**

20 posts in this topic

Here is a 1910

1910_indian_5gold_obv.jpg

1910_indian_5gold_rev.jpg

And here is a 1911

1911_indian_gold_obv.jpg

1911_indian_5gold_rev.jpg

Both are in no-problem NGC holders. See how your grade guess compares to NGC.

Thanks for looking.

Both MS62.
We have a ^^

Thats not fair.....he probably graded them when he worked there and specifically remembers both of them........what caused the 11 to be a 62?

Well done Mark. Me personally, I find the incuse Indian design impossible to grade, but then again, I don't collect these and I don't have hundreds if not thousands pass through my hands to learn the specifics.

I agree with the MS 62 grades on both – I was a little tough on the 1910 because it was marked up pretty good but I have had many MS 62’s with a similar look.

In all honesty, I had the 1910 at MS62 and the 1911 at AU55 or 58. I'm a bit confused as to why the 1911 graded MS...that rub on the eagle's shoulder (flatness) makes it AU, IMO.

jom

In all honesty, I had the 1910 at MS62 and the 1911 at AU55 or 58. I'm a bit confused as to why the 1911 graded MS...that rub on the eagle's shoulder (flatness) makes it AU, IMO.

jom

John, you sound as if you are assuming that area is rub, rather than a weak strike. Often it's difficult to tell the difference, even in person. But one clue that I look for, is whether there are (other) signs of circulation, such as missing luster in the fields, rub on other areas, which are typically not softly struck, etc.

jom

It may also be in part to the fact that Indian gold are among the hardest series of US coins to grade because of the incused design.

I also thought I was seeing rub on that coin and had the same thoughts at 62 and 58, but Indian gold is just tough.

Im puzzled that the 1911 is in a MS holder. I see obvious wear at the top of the eagles left wing.

Edit after reading page two that it is strike related.

jom

John, you sound as if you are assuming that area is rub, rather than a weak strike. Often it's difficult to tell the difference, even in person. But one clue that I look for, is whether there are (other) signs of circulation, such as missing luster in the fields, rub on other areas, which are typically not softly struck, etc.

Oh...yeah, I know what you are saying. However, after looking at these for a good long period of time the only date that really had "weakness" in that are was the 1908 Quarter Eagle and the was due to lack of detail in the die/hub.

I never saw a lot of the other dates from either series that lead me to believe this was a weak strike area....TYPICALLY. That is not to say it never happened however. Of course you have to see the coin in hand. If, for example, the 1911 had the kind of hits the 1910 has and had the same eagle's shoulder "weakness" I would take the hits as being from circulation as well. I also have noted a slight over-grading of these coins from NGC over the years, IMO. That might be attributed to many of the more PQ coins being cracked and sent to PCGS...I don't know. But when I saw an NGC graded coin like this they were always "dirty" and dull....

It is a tough coin to grade no doubt and it makes it tougher if the weak strike area happens to be located in the same area as the first signs of rub. That's where the Buffalo nickel, as an example, has somewhat of an advantage.

jom