• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1960-D Jefferson Nickel NGC MS67 by lehigh96

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Obtained a 1960-D Jefferson Nickel NGC MS67 from lpgoody1959 (E-Bay seller) for $432.98 and 183 registry points.

This coin was won using Best Offer Option.

1960-D JEFFERSON NICKEL NGC MS67: NGC Census: (12/0). PCGS Population (0/0) (8/2012).

Seller: E-Bay Seller: lpgoody1959

E-Bay Listing: 320949968509

Ended: August 21, 2012

Description:

Nickel grey surfaces with a full luster profile and an exceptional strike for the date/mm. Full hair detail, full details on Monticello, partial step detail, and minimal planchet flaws on the jaw and collar. Some light die polish lines are evident in the fields and there is no evidence of die wear which is indicative of and EDS coin. Some light marks are found on the focal areas of both sides.

Comments:

Given the strike and luster of this coin, it is understandable that NGC would assign the lofty MS67 grade. However, the marks on the focal areas would certainly limit the grade of this coin to MS66 in PCGS plastic. But it makes no difference if this is a low end MS67 in NGC plastic or a solid MS66 in PCGS plastic, it is certainly one of the finest preserved 1960-D Jefferson Nickels in existence.

11988.jpg

See more journals by lehigh96

You are really building a wonderful registry set. All of your coins are stunning and beautifully photographed.

Thank you very much, that is the goal: stunning & beautifully photographed. I wish I could photograph all of the coins in the top 5. I hate not being able to compare my coins to the other top ranking sets.

It's funny that you made the comment that this coin would probably grade out at MS66 in PCGS plastic. I have encountered just the opposite with coins I have sent to NGC to have crossed from PCGS. Half the coins I sent for crossover were denied by NGC at the grade I sent them in.

It is pretty apparent neither organization is very keen on crossing over coins graded by the other at the current grade much of the time. I have actually heard the opposite of what you mentioned by several collectors. They all told me you will get a higher grade by sending to PCGS. I don't know if that's true, but the crossover issues I have run into makes me wonder.

Happy Collecting!

It's funny that you made the comment that this coin would probably grade out at MS66 in PCGS plastic. I have encountered just the opposite with coins I have sent to NGC to have crossed from PCGS. Half the coins I sent for crossover were denied by NGC at the grade I sent them in.

It is pretty apparent neither organization is very keen on crossing over coins graded by the other at the current grade much of the time. I have actually heard the opposite of what you mentioned by several collectors. They all told me you will get a higher grade by sending to PCGS. I don't know if that's true, but the crossover issues I have run into makes me wonder.

Happy Collecting!

It really depends on the series that you are collecting, but with regards to Jefferson Nickels, PCGS employs stricter grading standards, especially in the premium gem grades. One only needs to look at the population reports to see that this is true.

However, NGC is much more conservative in their application of the full step designation which is where the money is in the series. Due to these intricacies in Jefferson Nickel grading, pricing Jefferson Nickels is actually very difficult as is determining which grading service to use for your raw coins.

Take the current coin as an example. Numismedia Wholesale which is the NGC price guide list the 1960-D MS67 at $360. PCGS price guide for the 1960-D in MS66 is $750. And lastly the auction archives for PCGS graded 1960-D in MS66 over the last 5 years is $366. This indicates that the market values the PCGS MS66 and NGC MS67 at the same level. Of course I paid a retail price for my coin because with a scant population of 12/0 in NGC MS67, market availability become a serious concern.