• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Had to give it a go posted by davidk

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Finally decided to send it back in for another look even though it most likely isn't worth it!

Some of you will remember this 1960 nickel from before. After looking at dozens upon dozens of 1960 nickels, I have decided to send it in for a relook. It is currently at grading/quality control so it will be soon that I find out the verdict. This coin has obvious signs of a proof but it also has signs of many of the MS coins I have seen as well. I'm hoping for a proof strike on an MS planchet. Yes, I know it is a huge stretch but it truly has many characteristics in common with both a proof and an MS. Bottom line is that if I wasn't already sending in other coins I would not have sent it back in and I'm not one to display a questionable coin in my set either.

11978.JPG

See more journals by davidk

Good decision David, was the grade close or was that off also??

If the grade is correct then it was really not worth the trouble of sending in. (my thoughts)

Later Friend------Rick

David,

Just for giggles, I tried out my new Cellphone NGC Scanner do-hicky....here is the results that I received from the scan for 5C 1960 #2579047-007 :

PF67 :applause:

Timed scanned : 11:35am 24 August, 2012.

I guess, perserverance does pay off. Congratulations.

Jack

David,

Just for giggles, I tried out my new Cellphone NGC Scanner do-hicky....here is the results that I received from the scan for 5C 1960 #2579047-007 :

PF67 :applause:

Timed scanned : 11:35am 24 August, 2012.

I guess, perserverance does pay off. Congratulations.

Jack

I think that the NGC certification lookup feature proves that the coin is a mechanical error. The coin is listed as 1960 5C PF67 but the photo shows a slab labelled MS67. I wanted this coin to be MS as much as anyone but once I saw it in hand, there was no doubt that it was a proof coin.

Apparently people are able to look up final grades of coins before it even shows finalized staus on my submission tracker. The coin did come back as a PF67, which means it isn't worth diddly squat compared to before. I expected this in many ways but held out hope for a different result. Now it is just time for NGC to uphold their commitment to excellence and refund my shipping and initial grading fees for their mistake of a disaterous mechanical error.

It may be that time! NGC has come really close to making up my mind for me. Because they apparently have no quality control and no responsibility for their snafu's, I may just be out of this coin collecting entirely. I'll sit it out a bit and make my determination at a later date but as of now it is just a matter of selling some stuff off.

Now it is just time for NGC to uphold their commitment to excellence and refund my shipping and initial grading fees for their mistake of a disaterous mechanical error.

Read the guarantee, says right in there that the guarantee does not cover mechanical errors. They don't owe you a thing. Sometimes as a gesture of good will they will do something but they DON'T owe it to you.