• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's a collector with ADOS to do

7 posts in this topic

You've heard of ADHD well I have ADOS Attention Deficit ooooo shiny

I've been a bullion trader and collector for years (note still shiny stuff) and my wife inherited a collection of proof sets a little while back that peaked my interest in coins and then I discovered that uncirculated coins are a lot prettier than the circulated Junk Silver I sell. So I see a nice liberty and ohh gotta have it, then a morgan oooo must have, then a peace then an Ike or a franklin. So as you can imagine my collection is rather chaotic and I'm not sure how to get some focus. I've got a full run of raw Ike's but I'm not sure how to determine if they are worth getting graded. So like I said I need to figure out a way to get focused. what did you guys do?

See more journals by stuartt

Hahah. You might go through a phase and stop what your doing and move into a different area of coin collecting. I know I was just like you but tastes have changed now

I had a similar problem when I first started collecting. I wanted everything and starting buying everything, but a veteran dealer/collector set me straight and I cannot be more grateful.

He said: "pick something or a couple things and focus on them before you start something else". He was very wise. He knew I loved Morgans and wanted to collect them but was shy of getting into the picture because of their cost, but when he explained the true rarity of them and how unlikely the population of high end exemplars is to increase in numbers, a light came on in my head. You can love all coins, but if you want to amass something that is pretty guaranteed to go up in value, pick something that you won't be surprised with future exploding pop counts and you will always have a winner.

I have a few friends that sink a LOT of money into graded Silver Eagles. While I think they are absolutely beautiful coins, read the paragraph above again.......

That's just my 2 cents. If I had a huge chunk of cash to spend at the FUN shows in Orlando, who knows what coins I might bring home!

Dear lord no, I bleed black and gold and the only thing you could call me that would be worse is a browns fan...ewwwww...

And I am leaning towards peace dollars because there are not a lot of them, and I just scored a 1928p in what i think is at least AU condition for like 300 and I can build a respectable group of the rest of the coins and not break the bank.

I sell Eagles to guys like your friends so I know they are a dime a dozen except at the ms 70. I also am starting to get a thing for liberty halves but at this rate one coin a year might be all I can do but hey let the hunt go on.

I bought lots of coins at first as well... to get a foundation. Now I focus on my Roosie dimes, my 42 mint set, and proof sets. I started on the most recent proof set at the time (2011) and started working my way back. As an ancillary set got close to completion, I'd finish it off. I now have every coin from 2008+ in PF70UC, with most of the 2007 set complete. I'm having fun collecting this way :)