• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

help me please 1915 S 50cent

9 posts in this topic

Here is a Barber I got today, My estimate F12

OBV:90% LIBERTY

Bottom leaves on the wreath identifiable

Rim full,

REV: shield 90%, motto full, wings 75%

I don't think VF but maybe better than F12....Thoughts?

129255.jpg.c6108ce0e82fb34421ad7a0eabd24e4d.jpg

129256.jpg.985dab5fbc11892bb78cbd12ecbf412a.jpg

This coin has the technical aspects of a Fine-12 as defined by the grading guides, but it has been cleaned. For that reason I would net grade to a VG. One of the "old time" attributes of the Fine grade was that the coin was "attractive." Because of the cleaning, I don't find this to very attractive.

But given the lower standards for circulated coins these days, will probably sell as a Fine.

It looks like that haha

The best way to learn is to just get your hands on anything you can and let your eyes feast at coin shows...as opposed to your wallet.

"Market Grading" means that a piece is good enough to bring the catalog prices that are listed for commonly traded coins. It implies that the piece has some issues, but they are not such that would make the coin unacceptable in most of the coin market. Some collectors will not accept such coins, but they need to realize that the premium coins that they really like are worth premium prices.

Thanks all, I don't know what a cleaned coin looks like yet. I live in a small community, prob an hour just to get near a coin shop.
thats why i go to the coin shows outside my area. ya have to do what you hae to. best wishes