• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1949-S Jefferson Nickel NGC MS66 by lehigh96

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Obtained a 1949-S Jefferson Nickel NGC MS66 from Greattoning (E-Bay seller) for $109.49 and 59 registry points.

This auction was won using a max bid of $125.00

1949-S 5C MS66: NGC Census: (151/19). PCGS Population (77/0) (6/12).

Seller: E-Bay Seller: Greattoning

E-Bay Listing: 330754527547

Ended: Jul 01, 2012 17:42:01 PDT

Description:

A fantastically toned premium quality premium gem Jefferson Nickel. Ice blue and lilac toning on the obverse progress moving left to mint green, yellow, strawberry, cobalt, and lime green. The reverse also shows a similar rainbow progression from an untoned center. A few marks are noted, but for the most part, the surfaces are very clean. Very well struck with full details save the typical weakness under the third pillar which precludes a full step designation. Full strong luster provides vibrancy to the color of the toning which results in exceptional eye appeal.

Comments:

I understand that the application of the star designation requires unanimous approval from all of the graders who grade the coin. All I can say is that some grader needed another cup of coffee before viewing this coin because he was absolutely asleep at the wheel. The most egregious absence of a star that resides in my collection; worse than the 1942-S. I have to believe that the lone mark on Jeffersons jaw in combination with some of the abrasions in the reverse fields are the reason this coin did not receive an MS67 grade, which this collector believes it deserves.

After not being able to locate a suitable 1949-S specimen for three years, this is now the third coin that has filled this slot in the registry in 2012. The first coin was a clean lustrous untoned PCGS MS66 that just didn't have the pizazz that I look for in a coin. The latest resident was a supercool NGC MS66 with very similar toning and luster but far inferior surfaces and strike. Perhaps one of the nineteen MS67 examples will hit the market and have enough eye appeal to knock out this great example.

11969.jpg

See more journals by lehigh96

Wowsa! I concur this coin could easily have been given the star designation. I didn't know the little tidbit about unanimous opinion of all graders to get the star designation. Learn something new everyday.

Todd

Paul - your collection and approach is so impressive. I admire your disciplined pursuit of building the most compelling Jeff collection and your ability to describe your experience with each is great fun for true collectors. Thanks for investing your time to share your achievements here.

P.S. This one is certainly a superior replacement. Beautiful!

As we all know, not all 66's are created equal. Congratulations on acquiring what is the finest of the three Jeff's you picture. I'm also in full agreement with you on that star. All the best.

Gary