• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TODAY'S COINAGE posted by Eagles-R-it

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

LINCOLN CENT

To all the Lincoln cent people out there. I just started to dabble in the buy a few rolls of pennies to see what would happen. WHAT A SURPRISE. I bought 10 rolls from my unfriendly bank, they really did not want to sell me the rolls, but the big wig over rode them. Anyway here is what I am getting at, It seems like anything new is junk. Green, crusty, very very poorly struck, and quite frankly a big disappointment. Of course it seems only the 2000 and up is the worst. I figured it would be 1983 and up. The 1970s had the best strikes and appearance of any of the coins in the ten rolls.

Another thing that seemed to irk me, out of 500 coins only 3 2009s and I had to use a 20x glass to see that one was a 09 for all the crud and corrosion. Plenty og 2010. 2011, 2012s.

No, not one wheatie, but was surprised to get almost 75 BU 1983s, 30-40 1982 lg and sm date of which nearly all were BU, also one seemed to be brass. A few of them I could send in they were that nice, but the cost vs return is not there. I have not weighed the 83s yet, but maybe I will get lucky.

Anyway folks, food for thought, anyone else seeing the same thing?

See more journals by Eagles-R-it

DIMES

Eagles, The 1999 and up coins are trash!!! The mint is putting out so many different coins as compared to earlier years that the quality control has been dropped for circulated coinage. I went through over 2000 dimes for 2005 to 2010. It seemed to me that 2009 was by far the worst year ever. The brand new dimes didn't even have lines on the torch and the fields were crushed in where the dies needed cleaning but were ran till you really couldn't find a decent strike. Some wonder why there are not many MS coins for their counter part SMS coins. If they tried to really find a few on their own they would understand why the population is smaller in MS coinage compared to SMS.

Keep Up The Search!!!

DIMES

I checked the books and made a mistake.The 2006 P was a tough candidate. The 2009 P was the worst for unclean obverse die but the torch destructions were on the 2008 P. The 08 D dimes were very rough. So those were the hardest of the 12 coins to find 1 semi keeper that would have not even been sent in but I do want to fill the slots.

Just my findings----

Agreed. All the newbies are dull, flat and lifeless. This is the primary reason I dislike the state quarters so much...but the plague goes much deeper. We need Teddy Roosevelt back to find a Fraser, St. Gaudens, Wienman or someone, anyone to replace the being turned out today. They all lack originality and are quite disappointing.

Frank Gasparro was the last one to have a really cool coin concept in his 1977 (I believe) small dollar concept coin. Too bad we went with the totally boring SBA with the borrowed reverse design.