• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Credit Card Fraud Alert

35 posts in this topic

PayPal look more attractive every day!

Not for me. I stopped using/accepting PAYPAL over a year ago. Now it's either personal check or a USPS Money Order. I prefer peace of mind and security over convenience .

Paypal is worse than anything if you use them for a "Bank."

Their security system is pathetic and it does not work, their customer service doesn't communicate or know a Key Board from a stone and Chisel.

I have had to make 4 different paypal accounts over the past 3 years because of their "security model." One account acctually had money stolen by one of their employees and they tried to cover it up and kept saying the money will be back in my account. After 5 months and still missing $700.00, I contacted my attorney and the BBB and the FTC. 3 months later Paypal issued my money back with a formal statement of what happened.

BUT everytime I have ever done a transaction that is "larger than usual" They hold the funds. Paypal's security model thought an Ebay transaction of $550.00 was money laundering. WORSE part was that they people there have no way to override the system and I had to wait yet again..It took 3 weeks. Eh, Paypal just sucks but you need it for Ebay. (shrug)

All the CCs and accounts that were hacked recently, most likely has nothing to do with the ANA show timing. Every day people have their info stolen and it is done numorous ways. The fact that several people on here all had fraud issues around the same times means nothing except your info was stolen. It could be from a Trojan keylogger virus on ANY website, a Skimmer on an ATM machine anything.

I had my Identity stolen two years ago and I have had many fraud issues where my bank info was stolen. Most of the fraud came from websites with bad or fake SSL certs.

My advice: Buy an Aluminum wallet or just carry cash. Bank and CC fraud is everywhere today and the stress of lossing everything in your savings because of Identity theft is rediculous and it sucks. Whenever I carry more than $500 on me, I keep $50 in my wallet and the rest in a bank bag in my car. I also have a CCW permit and I always carry. I would rather have someone grab my cash and the sisuation to allow me to defend myself and money than have someone walk next to me with an RFID scanner and get my CC info without me even knowing.

-Dave

Save the gun for defending yourself, money you can replace, you will spend far more on attorneys and conscience for shooting somebody over money than you can carry on your person. Not to mention family or victim wanting vengeance and you having to look over your shoulder for a very long time

PayPal look more attractive every day!

Not for me. I stopped using/accepting PAYPAL over a year ago. Now it's either personal check or a USPS Money Order. I prefer peace of mind and security over convenience .

Paypal is worse than anything if you use them for a "Bank."

Their security system is pathetic and it does not work, their customer service doesn't communicate or know a Key Board from a stone and Chisel.

I have had to make 4 different paypal accounts over the past 3 years because of their "security model." One account acctually had money stolen by one of their employees and they tried to cover it up and kept saying the money will be back in my account. After 5 months and still missing $700.00, I contacted my attorney and the BBB and the FTC. 3 months later Paypal issued my money back with a formal statement of what happened.

BUT everytime I have ever done a transaction that is "larger than usual" They hold the funds. Paypal's security model thought an Ebay transaction of $550.00 was money laundering. WORSE part was that they people there have no way to override the system and I had to wait yet again..It took 3 weeks. Eh, Paypal just sucks but you need it for Ebay. (shrug)

All the CCs and accounts that were hacked recently, most likely has nothing to do with the ANA show timing. Every day people have their info stolen and it is done numorous ways. The fact that several people on here all had fraud issues around the same times means nothing except your info was stolen. It could be from a Trojan keylogger virus on ANY website, a Skimmer on an ATM machine anything.

I had my Identity stolen two years ago and I have had many fraud issues where my bank info was stolen. Most of the fraud came from websites with bad or fake SSL certs.

My advice: Buy an Aluminum wallet or just carry cash. Bank and CC fraud is everywhere today and the stress of lossing everything in your savings because of Identity theft is rediculous and it sucks. Whenever I carry more than $500 on me, I keep $50 in my wallet and the rest in a bank bag in my car. I also have a CCW permit and I always carry. I would rather have someone grab my cash and the sisuation to allow me to defend myself and money than have someone walk next to me with an RFID scanner and get my CC info without me even knowing.

-Dave

Save the gun for defending yourself, money you can replace, you will spend far more on attorneys and conscience for shooting somebody over money than you can carry on your person. Not to mention family or victim wanting vengeance and you having to look over your shoulder for a very long time

You are assuming that the drug-crazed loser robber doesn't mind leaving a witness behind. I'm not sure I'd want to risk my life making this assumption.

Hi all, just found this warning on my Bank site.

Our debit card processor has alerted us to an increased level of fraud on debit card transactions from California, Florida, Illinois, and New York. To protect your accounts from possible fraud activity, ------ Bank has suspended signature-based debit card transactions from the four states listed above. Before traveling to any of these states, or internationally, please contact your local Banking Center to have temporary access granted for debit card use in these areas. Questions? Call our Customer Care Center at 1-866-. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Just thought it was interesting. Doug

My business card had four charges made on 8/15-8/20. One Pizza Hut & one Domino's and two for tickets through ticket agencies. All charges originated in the UK.

I was not at the ANA. Over the last ~5 years I've had four credit cards compromised. They are all cards I use for business and are used at only a few sites/places (USPS / eBay / PayPal / Heritage / PCGS / NGC / ANACS). The one common denominator in all four cards: eBay. One of my cards was used exclusively to pay my eBay fees. This latest card was just recently added to eBay to pay fees.

It's possible it is a coincidence, but it seems very unlikely that of all the cards I have (probably 20+), that the ones that get hit are business related, used at a limited number of places, and connected to eBay. If I had to take a WAG, I'd say they were not hacked, but that someone on the inside is stealing and selling the credit card info.