• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1954-D Jefferson Nickel NGC MS66 by lehigh96

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Obtained a 1954-D Jefferson Nickel NGC MS66 from Teletrade Auction #3299 for $80 and 102 registry points.

The coin was won using a max bid of $100.

1954-D 5C MS66: NGC Census: (39/1). PCGS Population (11/0) (6/12).

Auction: 3299 Lot #1303

Seller: Teletrade

Auction Ended On: June 24th, 2012

Description:

Essentially untoned, this lustrous example displays clean surfaces with just a few minor ticks on Jeffersons portrait. The strike is good, but as is typical for the date/mm, the step detail is non existent with this coin grading 0-0-0-0 by the quarterstep method.

Comments:

In most series of coins, there are tough dates that are somehow overlooked and have no public notoriety as such. The 1954-D is one of those dates for the Jefferson Nickel series. Consider that the total population in MS66 is only 50/1 for both TPGs. In addition, there are only two graded MS66 5FS, one by each grading service. While I will be on the lookout for a full step example to add to my registry set, it seems counterintuitive to add a lower graded simply because it has better step detail.

11954.jpg

See more journals by lehigh96

Your two nickles look fantastic. Great finds.

I am sending into NGC, in the following week, the following: 1944S along with a set of 1945 S& D Jeffersons. Joining them will be a rough looking 1922D Lincoln.

My Jeffersons have nice toning and I hope to get good grades on them too but, not as nice as your two Jeffersons.

Thanks for sharing

Jack