• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Montford Point Marines Medal census by John M. Robinson II

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

They were the first modern African American U.S. Marines (MPM) but, I got the first MPM Medal NGC census points.

I received my five Montford Point Marines Medals in the mail this past week. I was dismayed by two things-- I did not get any MS70 grades and I did not receive the -- first issued-- label, as I had hoped.

Here are the grades: 1.5 inch medal _ 1 NGC MS64; three NGC MS67;

3.0 inch medal_ NGC MS69 (only one posted onto the NGC Census)

I did, however, after seeing the census report today on the Montford Point Marines medal, found out that my five coins are the first to be posted onto the NGC census. I base this on the grades that I did receive compared to what are posted onto the census.

I purchased these medals at 12:05 on the day of first sale. To me, this would be a sure thing for a -- first issue label-- I guess not. I even put a note or, two, onto my submission form that indicated when I purchased the medals and requested the label.

I am not displeased with the final NGC grades that my medals received since, the one 1.5 inch medal that I ordered separately came to me in a hopefull -- VG -- raw grade. It was a mess. I returned it and received a much better conditioned one. I sent my five coins into NGC in the unopened box that they were sent to me from the U.S. Mint. I did this, to secure the -- first issue -- label.

Well enough of my rambling.

Have fun on your coin adventures,

Jack

11950.jpg

See more journals by John M. Robinson II

I just called NGC and they informed me that they do not issue-- First issue/release-- status labels for medals and tokens. I learn something new every day.

Best wishes

Jack