• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Photography

12 posts in this topic

I came across this article online that seems to be pretty thorough for taking pics. Maybe you experts can check it out and add it to the WYNTK if its worthy.

Seen the article before, Mark Goodman is the man when talking about coin photography. It's not the cam but your setup, being square to the coin, shooting flat, lighting, using the timer, WB, ISO etc. I shoot coins with a $100 cam from a pawn shop, no lie. A Fuji S3280 FinePix P&S. 14MP, 24X zoom loaded with features. Getting the most outa what you have is key. Trial n error will make you a better coin photographer, you have to do your time.

I was experimenting with setup last night, I think I can get some passable photos, now to figure out my photoshop. Thats giving me a ton of grief, resizing and enlargening. I need about 30 hrs in a day to keep up with everything else, not including sleep

Thats giving me a ton of grief, resizing and enlargening.

I use XnView for all my resizing needs. Basically, you'll go to "Image" then "Resize." You can let it keep the same parameters or manually make them whatever you want. Very simple and it's a free download.

Actually, photoshop is a breeze to use for just sizing, cropping, trimming, or changing canvas size. Open the photo in ps and under the image drop down menu select what you want to do and do it. If you try to get real professional and change the default settings, you should probably have someone helping you or a really good book, but just to do minor things like mentioned it is a snap.

JMO

Jim

BTW--I bought Mark's book last year and it is fantastic--as already mentioned the type camera you use is incidental to imaging your coins.

Jim

Another powerful and (IMO better than Photoscape) free software is GIMP.

Mark's full book has much more complete information than the website you found. For $25 his book is a must have for anyone interested in numismatic photography.

Cheers,

-Brandon

Mark is the best, I have used his photography services several times and the photos he has done are fantastic, not to mention his willingness to share his knowledge with others.

The new photoshop has some very cool additions. Most of it not being used for general editing but the program is very powerful. It is also not one bit intuitive.

For basics, Photoshop Elements along with the other programs mentioned will do the trick.