• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

morgan prices

14 posts in this topic

A buddy called me and needs rent money, he has a few morgan and peace dollars, all common dates, what is a fair price to offer him, don't want to screw him but don't want to over pay either, sight unseen, he will travel about an hour to deliver and don't want him to get here and say those are junk not interested. Thanks

First, sound like dude is a friend

I assume the coins are raw

Why not wait until he gets to the house, to negotiate the price.

Tell him at minimum you will offer spot silver plus $3.00

If the coins are better than Fine, pull out the price guide

Be fair always, with everyone.

OP

He is a friend, we serve in the same national guard unit and they are raw. he sent some pics to my phone from an ipad and most look shiny. haha..........thanks

Don't mix business and friends. Be a friend and recommend a rep B&M

There is nothing wrong with being a friend, paying a fair price and allowing the seller to do as well as, if not better than he would do, by selling to a dealer.

I agree with a previous post, that the price should be quoted on a sight-seen basis, especially because it sounds as if the coins can/will be seen quickly, anyway. I see only downside and no point in or upside to a sight unseen bid/deal under these circumstances.

Edited to add: "B&M" = brick&mortar = store/shop

The only problem I have is I'm unqualified to make a fair offer in hand, I don't know how a coin looks that has been cleaned, dipped etc. I have sold stuff on the bay for him in the past and there was no problem with that he was satisfied. Like I said, I don't want to screw him, and he's going to craigslist if I don't buy. But again, I don't want to pay retail either

I am thankful to all who gave advice, he is a friend and I do want to help him if I can, I think I will offer him 300 for the 12 morgans, spot plus 3. I don't think I can be hurt that way. And let him know its the best I can do, and it will not hurt my feelings at all if its too low for him to accept. If he thinks he can do better on CL then I hope he can.

I am thankful to all who gave advice, he is a friend and I do want to help him if I can, I think I will offer him 300 for the 12 morgans, spot plus 3. I don't think I can be hurt that way. And let him know its the best I can do, and it will not hurt my feelings at all if its too low for him to accept. If he thinks he can do better on CL then I hope he can.

I think $300 is a fair offer. I don't know what he might expect from Craigslist in his area, but in my neck of the woods there are a lot of dealers & collectors offering about 20% less than spot for junk silver.

Chris

Thanks all, he is checking ebay etc to see if my offer can be beat. I wish him luck

If he is doing that, he should be aware of considerations such as:

Postage charges on some Ebay for items, coins of different dates and/or better condition being worth more, some buyers paying too much for over-graded junk, etc.