• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speaking of dipping and cameos....

3 posts in this topic

or My adventures....part 2.5

I had purchased a lot of 20 1966 special mint sets around two years ago. On initial inspection, I was disappointed in the quality of the coins, most were hazy to some degree, and Dammit! there were no "no FG's" or DDO's are far as I could tell. Also, there was a distinct lack of cameos, or so I thought. I vaguely remembered that one or two of the halves appeared to be someone cameo, but unfortunately the fields were hazing and mottled. A few weeks ago I revisited those coins and decided to do some further experimentation with "dipping". Below is one of the halves. The fields cleaned up quite nicely, and quite frankly pictures do not do it justice. The coin is a little spotty however, so I am expecting a MS66 cameo. with some super luck, (ho[inh the graders had a two martini lunch) I will end up with a MS67 Ultra Cameo! In that case it will go straight into my "100 Greatest" set. Watch your tail Mr. Cramer! :)

Will follow up when the coins get back from NGC. Guys, two martinis at lunch are GOOD for you! (just make sure you walk back to work.)

11946.jpg

See more journals by Cellgazer

The reverse of the coin is of the utmost importance when it comes to a full Ultra Cameo grade, having said that I would love to see the other side. If its as nice you have a fair chance at that coveted UC grade. Your other photo shows less cameo so only time will tell.

Good luck! :banana: