• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Found out about a new DDO. Post a DDO.

13 posts in this topic

I had known for a long time that galaxies were often given a catalogue number starting with NGC (which stands for New General Catalogue). Who knew, that DDO is not only a numismatic contraction, but also an astronomical contraction. I just found out about it today. It stands for the David Dunlap Observatory (in Canada), and galaxies found by this observatory were catalogued with a number starting DDO. Post a DDO in honor of the observatory.

1972DDOpcgsMS66rdObvHR005.jpg

My favorite DDO has always been the 1943-P Jefferson Nickel DDO "Doubled Eye". Here is my example from my registry set, an MS67 5FS.

JeffersonNickel1943-PDDONGCMS675FS1.jpg

JeffersonNickel1943-PDDONGCMS675FSDoubledEye.jpg

JeffersonNickel1943-PDDONGCMS675FSDoubledDate.jpg

Finest Known 1960 DDO FS-101 NGC PF69 Roosevelt!

1960ddo68-1.jpg

Why were you standing on your head to take the first photo?

Chris

...trying to get the right angle; lettering is not a flat surface, and light hitting from different angles can conceal the strength of the doubling. But that would be more on my side, actually, as LIBERTY is not at the top of a dime ;) Also, I find that Proofs are hard to do close-ups on, without capturing my reflection.