• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cool S/CC

8 posts in this topic

I upgrade when ever I can but this coin is special for me. I had to jump a little past my comfort zone but these don't come with what I am looking for very often and then when they do there is a bidding war that gets out of hand. These are often found blast white or with very splotchy/molted tone (this one is a little).

This classic Redbook Variety is IMO the most important under mintmark in all of American numismatics with it naked eye clear C to the left of the S that evokes the legendary Carson City Mint. While there were two reworked CC dies that year this is by far the more apparent one. There is a few O/CC dies in the Morgan series but they are slight at best and only a few of the dies even look like true errors

When buying one of these it is important to note that there is also quite the range in the strength of the under-mintmark ranging from very slight to almost as bold as one would expect form a punch that wasn't effaced. It actually goes counter to logic as the LDS coins with the extensive die cracking on the Rev tend to have the strongest under type with the best strikes and the EDS without the cracking can be found with barely and trace of the C. Most likely there was a change in strike pressure during production to assist in production rates which lead to the cracking of the dies.

While 99% of my coins are PCGS but I think NGC nailed this one and am no hurry to Cross it as deep down I think the physical aspects of the holder are aesthetically better than PCGS but it will most likely get crossed soon or a later for registry purposes. Enjoy a pretty scarce coin that has a large cool factor, Cheers.

1875scclabel.jpg

This shows the luster which is full cartwheel and color a little better along with the C

SoverCC%20rev.jpg

Over Mintmark Detail (not my coin but same strength C)

s%20over%20CC%20Trade%20Dollar%201054x532.jpg

It actually goes counter to logic as the LDS coins with the extensive die cracking on the Rev tend to have the strongest under type with the best strikes and the EDS without the cracking can be found with barely and trace of the C.

In repairing a CC reverse die, the mintmark was undercut and filled, then the field polished. This hid all or nearly all of the CC. (Think of natural filling of digits with compacted debris, which is a common occurrence.) As the die was used, the filler loosened and fell out of the original CC depressions. Thus, the undertype became more evident as the die was used.

This technique of die repair vanished about 1905, and was unknown to later engravers such as John Sinnock.

It actually goes counter to logic as the LDS coins with the extensive die cracking on the Rev tend to have the strongest under type with the best strikes and the EDS without the cracking can be found with barely and trace of the C.

In repairing a CC reverse die, the mintmark was undercut and filled, then the field polished. This hid all or nearly all of the CC. (Think of natural filling of digits with compacted debris, which is a common occurrence.) As the die was used, the filler loosened and fell out of the original CC depressions. Thus, the undertype became more evident as the die was used.

This technique of die repair vanished about 1905, and was unknown to later engravers such as John Sinnock.

Thanks for the insight

thats way to bad that that is a lost art now. i do wonder what they do with todays dies thou?

They work on the hub - it's faster, easier and cheaper.

Repairing dies the "old way" was useful only due to the cost and time involved to make new dies. Improvements in technology offered better methods.

(The process was called Infiltration – This was the process of filling the crack or other defect with hard material such as steel wire. The infiltration could be locked in place by mechanical means, such as undercutting and packing, or by welding the filler in place. In either event, considerable surface smoothing had to occur. This was difficult to apply to small cracks and would usually not withstand significant heat treatment. Even after successful post-repair machining was completed, a “witness line” which resembles shrinkage lines, could be noted between the repair and the adjacent die steel in some instances.)