• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade-at-home service.

7 posts in this topic

Dear NGC,

I have devised a new tier service for grading modern coins. Grade-at-home service. This new tier should be sufficient to alleviate the backlog of modern graded coins. The service involves graders with the capability to grade at home or in their spare time. In this manner, graders do no have to move to FL to actively participate in the program. A shipment of moderns would be sent to graders all over the country, to be graded, and authenticated at home, with the grades submitted back to the home office by computer. The grades could be accessed by the owners, but not shipped as quickly. The coins are then shipped back after a predetermined amount of time to NGC for encapsulation. I suspect NGC would have a winfall of qualified graders apply since many astute graders live in areas of the country, wish to grade, but find it a financial hardship to move. Cost of service? Less than economy, but a bit longer on turnaround. All I ask in return for this great idea is a free NGC coin box. cloud9.gif

TRUTH

Sounds intersting as long as NGC still guarantees the grade. I'd thought about the grading cos. having a mobile van. They could sign up graders who have already passed muster with them for the particular area they would be in and do them on the spot much like at shows. Twelve months a year, 8 stops 2-4 weeks each. Well, just an idea. I don't see any alleviation for the backlogs as it is now. And nothing is really broke, just overwhelmed. If I was better at grading I'd already be at NGC's door camped out.

Jerry

I can see the response now:

Dear Truth,

NGC has no backlog of modern coins. We are grading them within the stated 10 day turnaround time. Who do you think we are, PCGS and their 60 day turnaround time?

Sincerely,

NGC

PS: We hired a new modern grader at Long Beach.

No. At least I doubt they will mail you one. I assume you want the newer silver kind and not the clear brown ones.

Next show they attend, ask them for one. They are good about giving out boxes.

What, Greg? 60 Days foreheadslap.gif? I'll have you know PCGS is currently claiming to do it in 50! 27_laughing.gif

I applaud NGC for adopting their quick turnaround on moderns (and they are speedy on other tiers as well). It shows they actually care about submitters.

That's 50 business day which doesn't include Saturday (even though they grade on Saturday) or Sunday or days there is a show and the week before and after that show and holidays and days that would be holidays in other countries and also doesn't include the 1-2 weeks that the coins sit in the PCGS building before they are actually entered into their system. wink.gif