• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1864 L

15 posts in this topic

It appears to be the 'rounded' bust type indicating there would be no L in the ribbon.

It looks like the pointed bust to me. There's another diagnostic, it relates to how high up on the rim the tip of bust points to. The problem is, that's measured in denticles, and those are gone in this example.

I'll vote "no L".

Ditto.

If you cannot see an least a lump for the "L" in the ribbon it does not qualify as that variety.

The 1864-L cent is overrated IMO. As a kid collector I was totally enamored with the concept of completing a set of Indian cents. I found a couple of 1864-L cents among small accumulations of coins that people had in my town. One of them had the sharpness of an EF with the "864" digits in the date recut. The trouble was it was uniformly covered with a layer of green corrosion. I actually had more trouble finding a nice 1864 Bronze cent than the 1864-L.

The 1864-L cent is overrated IMO.

I agree with you Bill. Ironically, I think the 1864 CN is a bit underrated in high grade (AU and up). It was one of the last coins I found for the AU set I put together a few years ago.