• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ngc cencus ?? by Allen

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

!972 5c pf69 ultra cameo

So I noticed on a couple differant auction sights that quite a few 1972 5c ngc pf69 ultra cameo coins have been showing up for sale. Then I noticed that all the coins have the same first 7 numbers. Then I did some research to verify the ngc cerification numbers . so It looks like someone has cerified 85 of these 1972 5c pf coins and out of 50 numbers I verified Only 2 were pf68 ultra and the rest are 69 ultra. So lets just say about 75 of these coins are 69 ultra. Now the Ngc Census says there are 126 pf69 ultras. Im not sure when these coins were graded but I find it hard bo belive that these coins are reflected in the total number in the census. So If I am correct this should significantly affect the census number.And The coin price, although the price seems about right at 87 dollars

In retrospect this is why I find it difficult to pay extremely high prices for the modern era coins As I contend that such a small percentage of these coins have been inspected and certified by dealers and collectors.

do any other collectors have an opinnion on this topic?

See more journals by Allen

It can happen to most modern coins. A dealer on ebay did that with the 1980-P Susan B. Anthony MS68, population went from 3 to 19. Right on the item page they even state the population is 16 'cause they got 3 crossed over at PCGS. Who knows for sure what someone has put back in bags or rolls waiting for a relative to find 10 or 20 years from now......MAILMAN

Allen,

Keeping an eye on census is a smart move on your part. There are always more out there to be graded at a later time and actually some real low numbers on quite a few if you do the minted population versus graded. New coins get graded weekly "but" the values only change when realized prices paid show higher or lower. If you are interested in a small group - copy a page of census numbers and their values so you can keep up with over flow of newly graded values. The moderns are tough to keep up with. VALUE Today-----$300 and two or three years later----$200 or so. There are just too many modern coins out there waiting for the right person or the right time.

Later---Rick

You have shed light on something I have always thought about when it comes to modern coins.... Nobody knows just how many great examples are tucked away and those numbers are probably going to increase on high grade coins as we get into post 1973 minting.

I have never faulted people for collecting what they want because that is the great thing about this hobby, but one can waste a LOT of cash chasing after modern day perfection, especially when the cost of grading a coin ends up being a significant portion of it's worth.

The great thing about collecting Morgan's (my opinion) is that you probably are not going to see the census jump much, so that initial investment one puts in the coin should be fairly safe. Nobody wants to see their coins devalue to the dumpster. That's probably what a lot of people caught up in the Silver Eagle craze are thinking or will think in the near future.

Great topic! Happy Collecting!

Bo