• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CAC sticker removed from a slabbed coin I bought from Ankur?!?! Say it isn't so!

41 posts in this topic

Yes, it is true. Sorry, Ankur my friend, but even after meeting you at ANA and being impressed by your friendly demeanor, I was compelled to peel the CAC sticker off of the 1885-O Morgan dollar you sold me.

Take one off of the CAC pop reports, cuz this one now permanently resides in my certified collection :) !

(But no, it won't be cracked out lol ....)

Yes, it is true. Sorry, Ankur my friend, but even after meeting you at ANA and being impressed by your friendly demeanor, I was compelled to peel the CAC sticker off of the 1885-O Morgan dollar you sold me.

Take one off of the CAC pop reports, cuz this one now permanently resides in my certified collection :) !

Sorry James, but as long as it is in the same slab, it will still be CAC approved. The Cert number will always be linked to CAC. If you were to sell it, the new owner could have it restickered for a small fee of $3.

Sorry James, but as long as it is in the same slab, it will still be CAC approved. The Cert number will always be linked to CAC. If you were to sell it, the new owner could have it restickered for a small fee of $3.

It looks like it will require a complete regrade to change the certification number. :devil:

OK, why would you bother taking the sticker off? I can see cracking the coin out...but JUST taking the sticker off? WTH?

Bizzaro... :insane:

jom

lol its a doily people, so I doubt he will be cracking it out! Its your coin James, and you are free to do what you want to it :)

I was going to invite you to my new cac chat board, but will have to think twice about it now :devil:

I was going to invite you to my new cac chat board, but will have to think twice about it now :devil:

bugsbunny_.gif

There's a CAC chat board?

An unofficial one created by me, yes.

Considering I cannot think of a good reason why you would do this please enlighten the group and tell us what benefit you would get out of removing the sticker.

One could say that the sticker is a distraction, and provided the owner doesn't plan to sell soon (or ever) why would they want to look at a coin with a green flashing bean that takes away from the coin.

I'm not sure I would remove a CAC sticker, but I can see the rationale; especially if we're talking about a purist like James.

I can't believe this thread already has two pages full of replies all over a sticker! :D

I think it's funny that he dislikes CAC that much, and I can understand where he is coming from. I feel the same way about coins that people pedigree (except for the major recognized accumulations like Elizaberg, Norweb, etc.), and I usually reholder the coins to get rid of the distraction of the name on the holder. I guess he finds CAC stickers similarly distracting.

Considering I cannot think of a good reason why you would do this please enlighten the group and tell us what benefit you would get out of removing the sticker.

lol I was wondering who would be curious about my motivation!! The slab I bought from Ankur is a doily, and I have several other doilys, none of which have been to CAC, much less been stickered. So side-by-side, I just didn't like how it looked with only one of the doilys with a rogue sticker.

The only options to get them to match up visually... get all of the other stickered, or just remove one sticker and be done with it.

I chose the latter option ^^ !!!!!!

lol I was wondering who would be curious about my motivation!! The slab I bought from Ankur is a doily, and I have several other doilys, none of which have been to CAC, much less been stickered. So side-by-side, I just didn't like how it looked with only one of the doilys with a rogue sticker.

The only options to get them to match up visually... get all of the other stickered, or just remove one sticker and be done with it.

I'm an advocate of CAC but I could actually see myself doing the same thing in this case. MJ

lol its a doily people, so I doubt he will be cracking it out! Its your coin James, and you are free to do what you want to it :)

"CAC Chat ". Sounds like a radio show :)

I'm an advocate of CAC but I could actually see myself doing the same thing in this case. MJ

OK, wait. Here we have a guy (James) who is a known slab destroyer who is now talking about "matching" his doily slabs? And MJ "sees" himself doing the same thing?

It must be true then. I'm now convinced I HAVE, in fact, entered Bizzaro World. I don't know how, I don't know why. But it must be true. Must be.

"Beam me up, Scotty! This place is nuts!"

:kidaround:

jom

OK, wait. Here we have a guy (James) who is a known slab destroyer who is now talking about "matching" his doily slabs? And MJ "sees" himself doing the same thing?

It must be true then. I'm now convinced I HAVE, in fact, entered Bizzaro World. I don't know how, I don't know why. But it must be true. Must be.

"Beam me up, Scotty! This place is nuts!"

:kidaround:

jom

For me it's an OCD thing, but yes your points are well taken :whee:

MJ