• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Photo taking

3 posts in this topic

I see complaints and apologies over the quality of the photos here, so I would like to avoid both within reason.I dont forsee buying an expensive setup for taking pics of coins, so, I have a few questions to help participate with passable photos.

1. Is it better to take a higher resolution photo and resize it down or lower, 5mp or 1 mp? I dont know how compression works.

2. Best lighting? natural, incandescent, flourescent, halogen, or flash?

3. Best background? color, material etc

4.Is it better to play with the camera settings or use the photo editing for adjusting color to match?

5. Photo program recommendations

6.Do you use a box?

7. Please post a photo of your set up so I can try to reproduce it to the best of my ability within my limitations.

Thanks in advance

My one recommendation is that you buy Mark Goodman's book on Coin Photography and then go from there. It is all in there, from using simple to expensive equipment.

http://www.amazon.com/Numismatic-Photography-2nd-Mark-Goodman/dp/193399004X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344793457&sr=1-1&keywords=goodman+coin+photography

If you buy Mark Goodman's book, read it thoroughly and practice shots by the thousands then you are well on your way. Good luck! :grin: